Tuner Spacing For 5 String Bass

I am working on a 5 string bass design. What is a reasonable spacing for an inline 5 String bass headstock tuning keys?

I am looking at using Hipshot Ultralights or Schaller Mini Bass Tuners... I want them tight together but still able to turn. I can just buy a set and figure it out but if someone already knows I would be appreciative of the help.

I want a straight string pull...

47mm wide at the nut with a 40mm string spacing.

In case you weren't thinking about it, the size of the knobs for bass tuners is usually your limiting factor. I'm not sure how close together is acceptable, but for your purposes I'd pick smaller knobs. The Hipshot ultralights have different options, the dimensions page shows the sizes of the knobs. With the smaller ones, it looks like you could do spacing of about 1.4"-1.5".

EDIT: Link to the ultralights dimensions document.

Edited by mwcarl

In case you weren't thinking about it, the size of the knobs for bass tuners is usually your limiting factor. I'm not sure how close together is acceptable, but for your purposes I'd pick smaller knobs. The Hipshot ultralights have different options, the dimensions page shows the sizes of the knobs. With the smaller ones, it looks like you could do spacing of about 1.4"-1.5".

EDIT: Link to the ultralights dimensions document.

I deduced most of this and have already looked at the dimensions. With guitar tuners depending on how you mount the tuners dictates how close together they can be and still be comfortable.

I was hoping someone who builds/plays basses all the time could give me some concrete answers and some tips/tricks or any gotchas... so I could avoid a lot of testing and prototyping.