Explorer Thang

Aside from the ubiquitous Telecasters, I usually try to stick to my own body shapes; but I got a request for an Explorer a while back, and thought y'all might like to see how it turned out:

DSCN4485.jpg

The top is yellow poplar barnwood, sanded down below the weathering.

The back is sassafras, and the neck is maple and walnut (this is the other portion of the stock I glued up for my "from the beginning" thread.)

DSCN4500.jpg

The customer wanted something to fill some of the real estate behind the bridge, and a bit of ebay motors browsing turned up this lovely 1958 Buick hood emblem, which I set into a round recess in the body:

DSCN4516a.jpg

The pickguard is made from some aluminum sheeting that I imagine came from an old commercial freezer unit or something.

For the headstock, I went with the original V shape one, but tweaked it a bit to maintain proper string clearance around the posts:

DSCN4505.jpg

You my friend are an artist and a luthier. That is the most awesome thing I have seen (at least since the last thing you built)....

Your use of random vintage and weathered objects is incredible....

I think I need to go practice working on my stuff now. :read

Whoa...outstanding. At first it seemed that there is sound hole behind that hood emblem. Mmm.... I can imagine a semi-hollow explorer, with such a sound hole placement and cover. One of those semihollow explorer thingies has been on my build plans for a long long time. Now you just got me inspired again. Thank you