Buck And A Half

I haven't worked on any new guitars for quiet awhile...

After reading this forum every day for awhile it has sparked an interest again. Decided to complete my buck and a half guitar.

I don't have the skill that most of you guys have but I can amuse myself...

Hollow core white oak with red cedar skins(the aromatic cedar haha) (weird combo but I use to be a timber cutter and I have a nice stockpile of cedar, oak, poplar and black walnut)

Stew mac rattle can clear

All free hand routed with pencil lines and a dewalt laminate trimmer (want to talk about brave? free hand an F hole with a laminate trimmer :)

Woodburnt with my trusty soldering iron

Most of the cedar I have is like 4 inches wide which alows me to mix and match the boards to get some sap wood lined up down the middle, once the neck is on, the maple freatboard makes it resemble a neck through.. Kinda reminds me of the old Carvin koa guitars.

IMG0235b.JPG

I use the knotty and splotched cedar for the backs so I don't waste any.

IMG_0237a.JPG

Here is after about 20 coats of rattle can clear

IMG_0234.JPG

IMG_0235a.JPG

At this very moment I'm setting on the couch with an old T shirt and those 9 stew mac polishing pads from 1500 to 12000 grit.

Damn I forgot how long this takes with these but I did get it level sanded to 1500 now i'm ready to polish (easier ways I know but I can do this while watching TV and keep the wife happy because I'm not outside lol. And those little pads never drop the dust, it clings to them and when they load up I wipe them on the T-shirt and it's pretty much mess free.

IMG_0238a.JPG

I like the way the grooves are still there and it seems like moonlight glistening off the barbed wire.

IMG_0237b.JPG

IMG_0240.JPG

Still see a few low spots on the radiuses

IMG_0239a.JPG

After I finish watching this movie I should have it down to 12000 and I will post more pics...

Maybe tomorrow I can start polishing the neck, it has hoof prints for fret markers...

Jebus that looks amazing. I really need to get these micro messes. I only have up to 1500 then I buff by hand with compounds. :-P Great work man I'm dying to try this but I dont think I have the skill just yet. I think ill practice more on scrap :-P

Thanks for the comments guys!

Pestvic, It really isn't that hard... I have free hand drawn for years but have no interest in drawing... Wood burning on the other hand is my creative flare for guitars. It's unique and artsy lol...

I came up with the idea from the maple les paul I was telling you about a few days ago. The one with the maple off cuts that were to short for a body but plenty long... My wife wanted one to call her own so she came up with the idea of adding a rose to it. I practiced on a piece of pine for about 15 minutes (first time wood burner EVER) then drew it on the guitar and the vine runs off the front all the way around the back and comes back around to the front and has a rose bud at the upper bout where the 3 way would normally go. ( I have since learned to make a template and carbon paper the image to the guitar as graphite from a pencil drawing does not burn and will still have a gray shine once burnt)

Here is my very first attempt at wood burning and keep in mind the image is not blurry this is just how quick pine burns and the heat bleeds quick.

IMG_0043.JPG

About 15 minutes later I had it drew on there and cut loose... I found out maple burns super slow and you have to move slowly to get the desired darkness.

IMG_0050.JPG

After it was done I thought to myself the leaf on the top should have been moved because I wound up with to much dark in a straight line... It doesn't matter though. She loves it and it hangs on the wall and gets tuned about once a year a never played :)

Fixing to polish the neck....

I didnt have any pictures of before i started but I made it from black walnut

Stew mac maple fret board

dual action truss rod($27 for 5 on ebay)

Rattle can stew mac clear

Here is a pile i use for necks, approximately 100 boards 3 inches wide about 7 feet long 5/4 thick (Free wood, I salvaged while cutting timber about 10 years ago)

IMG_0275.JPG

My wood burnt hoof mark fret markers

IMG_0271.JPG

IMG_0272.JPG

I have awlays made paddle style necks with a 13 - 14 degree scarf.

IMG_0274.JPG

wouldnt be complete without the woodburnt name :)

IMG_0273.JPG

Neck polished now ready for fretting...

Ready for a laugh?

IMG_0277.JPG

Now here goes a good old Redneck hillbilly fret job (yes I really am from kentucky lol)

IMG_0283.JPG

Where is the fret hammer you say? :hyper

IMG_0284.JPG

IMG_0285.JPG

Walla! plastic face hammer and it didnt cost $40

I bet some of you guys are still shaking your head :)

It's not always the most technically proficient builder that wins GOTM, A great design and execution of your ideas is a good place to start. You;ve used non-traditional woods, which have seemed to work nicely together. Your wood burning skills are great. Wood burning is something we rarely see. The inlay on the neck looks really cool and ties the theme together. I also love your cost effective fret hammer. Something I wish I would have thought of years ago! Would give me a reason to keep buying Coke LOL.

Some vote on wood choice, some vote on color and some vote on best skilled luthier. I for one simply vote for the guitar that I'd walk into the store and buy. This looks like it could be one of those guitars for me.

Zyon, I appreciate the comments but the quality of some of the builds I see on here far surpass anything this guitar will be.... I will post a video clip once done so you can hear it though...

• Like 1

wow how well does that work?? it awesome. I cant believe how well those mess pads work. How long do they last usually?

The video on Stew Mac shows Dan Erlewine stating he uses them wet and leaves them in water for about 2 weeks. I don't know what that says for longetivity, but from my experiance, I can say I use them dry and have used them on 5 complete guitars. They also work on polishing plastic pick gaurds and frets. I have used them on everything and they still cut like the first day I got them. Using them dry they load up quick but as I said before I keep a white T-shirt handy and polish for about 15 seconds, then wipe the dust off on the T-shirt. They are 100% clean with one wipe on the T-Shirt. For 10 bucks you can't go wrong IMO.

It's not always the most technically proficient builder that wins GOTM, A great design and execution of your ideas is a good place to start. You;ve used non-traditional woods, which have seemed to work nicely together. Your wood burning skills are great. Wood burning is something we rarely see. The inlay on the neck looks really cool and ties the theme together. I also love your cost effective fret hammer. Something I wish I would have thought of years ago! Would give me a reason to keep buying Coke LOL.

Some vote on wood choice, some vote on color and some vote on best skilled luthier. I for one simply vote for the guitar that I'd walk into the store and buy. This looks like it could be one of those guitars for me.

Zyon, I appreciate the comments but the quality of some of the builds I see on here far surpass anything this guitar will be.... I will post a video clip once done so you can hear it though...

It's something to coinsider If the end result satisfies me. The idea behind the oak core comes from reading about Brian May when I was a kid. building his guitar from an oak fireplace mantle. There are positives to using oak. Density for sustain, low bass but also hits screaming highs all while capturing a real buttery tone. I have tried this same body style in poplar and walnut and it comes off real muddy and has no tone definition.

Well I accomplished quiet a bit today I feel like...

Got the frets on and leveled and polished back out...

IMG_0288.JPG

Was dissapointed I didn't have any cedar truss rod covers made up. Had like 20 walnut, 1 purple heart, I decided to go with the walnut and paint it nitro black.

IMG_0298.JPG

Hanging it up while I make the nut... I didn't have many pickups to choose from... Had 1 dimebucker, 2 emg select, 1 epiphone bridge and a pair of crome paf style. I decided to go with the dimebucker and a paf style in the neck position. looks better than I thought it would

IMG_0301.JPG

I use micarta because its cheap if I screw up...

IMG_0302.JPG

Roughed out

IMG_0303.JPG

I mark it by holding it up to a epi les paul jr. then just file the crap out of it... I leave about half the wound strings above the nut.

IMG_0307.JPG

I angle them back slightly to keep the fret board side as the high point.

IMG_0308.JPG

IMG_0309.JPG

I still have to polish the nut with the micro mesh pads, wire it up, nitro the truss rod cover, make the back cover, adjust the action, and inonate it...

Did I forget anything?

It's finally raining out So I couldn't get any real good pictures tonight. Maybe tomorrow.

But I will say this. I roughly tuned it up, and without adjustment, and with the bridge all the way down, Strings are roughly a 1/16" off the fretboard and only had 1 fret buzz.... Plays fairly good as it is...

Will have to level that fret though... :( that aggrevates me!

i do the same. :) I learned it in a prs factory tour video on getting the correct neck angle. Anyway, I was just throwing the shim idea out there cause you said you were at the lowest point on the bridge and it still looks like its off the fretboard a bit.

Action set, Wiring soldered and nut polished... Forgot the bridge ground :( Hole is there just forgot to put the wire...

Very nice job. The cedar looks great, and the wood burning art is quite good. Like DemonX said, the detail and proportions on the fence post and barbed wire are excellent.

SR

Thanks