Spalted Multiscale

So yeah,you guys with your spalted maple have been making me jealous,so I am going to do something about it.Funny thing is that this is going to be kind of an easy build because I bought the body blank from Scott French already bookmatched and joined,and I bought the rough neck from Doug...so I guess I can jump right in to the fun part.Cut the body today.I went over and over in my mind what to mate the maple to as a back,but I just don't want to cover any of it...so at 1 1/8" thick it is going to be a super thin.

523925_435376739836319_13265474_n.jpg

This is the neck.

399495_435378883169438_1090395705_n.jpg

Used a Dremel to fit the nut end of the truss rod.The truss rout was already done by Doug's CNC

531463_435379116502748_624648445_n.jpg

So this is the fretboard,also done by Doug on his CNC...it has this neat "faux binding" that looks pretty cool.

382406_435379446502715_1122553440_n.jpg

• Like 1

You should use RADs latest pup in this build. It'll keep with the 'forum members' parts compilation and it just happens to have killer tone. I'm guessing that a super-thin maple body will sound just that- super thin. I forget the model name ( I was calling it "the beast" ) but it has great bass tone. I used it on a Maple/Elm strat and love the chunkiness of it. Mad props to his pickup building skills !

FWIW ,I utilize the 5th fret as the perp most of the time for the reasons stated above. In playing position, it feels very natural.

What kinda bridge you using??

Those little individual bridges...Doug sent a template with the neck

179109_435441463163180_1548181567_n.jpg

As far as the "tone",I really don't think this thing is going to sound like maple...it is spalted so it is very porous.After I stabilize it with CA i am sure the tone is going to just be whatever it is...The "tap tone" is closer to poplar than maple...

I am not fond of poplar,but I am sure that with the right electronics and hardware it will sound fine

But being a 27" scale on the low end I am sure I will keep it tuned to D

To be absolutely clear i have no idea what this thing will play or sound like.It is a total experiment and is completely out of my comfort zone...just for example,this will be the first bolt on guitar I have ever built...but I have 2 identically scaled necks that I want to be able to switch if needed...the other is mostly mahogany,so if this turns out too "bright" I can fix it with a mahogany neck,then use the maple one elsewhere...

Nice stuff!

Doug sent a test fretboard my way a while back to get feedback on it, and one of my comments was the same as Bionic said: for me, the 12th was much too far up the neck for a perpendicular fret. I place mine at the 6th on my baritone 26.5"-28" boards, which I've found is a good balance of playability, aesthetics, and string tension (tuned B to b w/ GHS .070" strings).

Yea. Brian has some cool stuff at good prices. that lefty Prs from last months GOTM had a gotoh floyd from Brian, Cost about $60.00 less than everywhere else.

Ill be hittin him up for bits again this month.

This should be cool Wez. But id prefer the perp at the fifth fret. but you will never know your preferance untill you start messing with fan boards so go for it man. Can always change it later.

Nice stuff!

Doug sent a test fretboard my way a while back to get feedback on it, and one of my comments was the same as Bionic said: for me, the 12th was much too far up the neck for a perpendicular fret. I place mine at the 6th on my baritone 26.5"-28" boards, which I've found is a good balance of playability, aesthetics, and string tension (tuned B to b w/ GHS .070" strings).

So, what ever happened with that build?

Nice stuff!

So, what ever happened with that build?

Hey Doug, I thought I sent a bunch of feedback to you--one of the main points being what I stated here. In a nutshell, it will be extremely difficult at best, painful at worst, to play in the first position & suggested placing the perp fret @ 6 or 7, and reducing the disparity between the two scale lengths by a half inch or so on either the bass or treble side (2" is a bit extreme at these shorter scales).

I did want to say that the quality of the board was top-notch, and the faux binding was a really nice touch.

yeah, a 12th fret perp is not a flaw- just promotes a different playing style.

i do prefer 3-9 fora good alrounder but shredding on a 12th fret perp will be no problem

i once saw one with a straight bridge and very angled nut - it certainly made some first position chords difficult but most were still viable.

I have one of doug's neck/fretboards ready to go - looking forward to it