Shakin' The Tree of Guitars, Baby!

Drak

You'd be surprised, hehehe...

I think my 'eye for wood' is the best thing I have going for me, far better than my build or finish talents. I always say that I'm just highlighting what's already there to begin with, what I do is just a complimentary 'nod of the head' to the wood itself.

I mean, the colors are always the same, yellow, red, orange, brown, blue, black, etc....what brings those colors to life is the wood itself.

It's all in choosing the right wood and just giving it a helping hand. The wood itself is the big hinge-pin to me, what I do to it is sort of inconsequential in the end, and hopefully respectful to the wood itself. Laugh if you want...

It always amazes me that the wood I chose had been growing for, christ, 20, 30, maybe even 40 years, just to be cut down and sawed up for someone like me to paint colors on it...kind of a strange injustice to the wood if you don't get it right, know what I mean?

I have a respect for the wood I use, it's usually older than me! :D

At least that's my take on it. B)

It's all in the wood!

That is Madrone Burl I had sliced up, there's actually 4 pieces there, very hard to pull off the way I did it, but at the time I didn't know any better, you have to be able to 'cover' the horizontal divider line going thru the center (sideways) or the effect goes to hell. Madrone Burl has a quality of brown that is kind of distinctive, kind of a sweet honey-brown, that lends it's own 'stamp' to the coloring.

That one was stained black and sanded back, my normal 'M.O.', but the color of the wood itself had a part to play in that final color. Again, it's all about the wood selection and working with what the wood itself has to offer, not trying to force it to do what you want it to do.

Y'know, Zen for Wood! :D

...Burls are Cool! B)

where are you getting those tops?

I get them where I can find them, either locally or on-line. I never pay 'top-dollar' for wood, most of the wood you see here I bought for VERY reasonable (cheap) prices.

Sometimes it's hidden by a rough-hewn cut, or it's a slim piece in a back corner with dust all over it, you never know. But I go out of my way to find the cheap piece everyone else overlooked and didn't see what I saw in it.

You have to train your eye to see the figure in wood others will bypass for whtever reason, I hate paying a lot of money for wood!

I try to look for the hidden beauties, not the hooker-wood. And the hooker-wood is always the most expensive.

:D

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars
Are these smashed trash heaps too?

That's the nicest thing you can think of to say Litch?

Real mature of ya mate. Reeeeeeeeeal mature. B)

:DB):DB):D:D:DB)B)B)B):D

Well, I decided not to get too attatched and say the look killer, because, if they all got smashed up, I'd prolly cry again, so before I got attatched, I figured I'd ask.

It always amazes me that the wood I chose had been growing for, christ, 20, 30, maybe even 40 years, just to be cut down and sawed up for someone like me to paint colors on it...kind of a strange injustice to the wood if you don't get it right, know what I mean?

I have a respect for the wood I use, it's usually older than me! :D

I totally agree with you! You have to respect the wood and pay tribute to the tree by makind something beatiful from its remains. That tree gave its life so we could make music. The least we can do is treat it with love and respect.

Where do you buy your wood!?!?!? :D

This one looks pretty cool, except the body is too pointy for me.

Crazy%20SG%20good.jpg

This one is SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET! It looks like Lava or Fire!

Helmetman.jpg

Also REALLY cool!

Explode%20strat.jpg

Looks like Cocobolo.

Coco-Ice.jpg

Looks like Lacewood, which I've never really been a big fan of, but you make it look COOL!

Snakey.jpg

Plus you have cool bursts.

That blue lacewood/snakeskin-like warlock is awesome. The others are too, especially that lava burst is incredible. Like Litchfield I hope you didn't thrash those like the one you showed in the other post, that was damn impressive, too and if you hadn't thrashed it I'd have liked to buy it from you like some others here

so long

ace