Tonights the night. I am finally going to route the neck pocket. Kinda nervous on this one. Time to take my time and go slow.

tumblr_m98jglVFT21qkj544o1_1280.jpg

So I have 2 Telel 12-string projects going on right now. I am finishing a 12 string tele kit for a friend. Kinda nice to just do the finishing and then be done.

tumblr_m94tmb9LIJ1qkj544o1_1280.jpg

East Bound and Down! Finally finished the binding on the body. I have to make several modifications. I started using the Stew Mac dremel attachement, but quickly realize it doesn't do arch tops well. So i went back to my homedepot special. With much rework I got it on. I have since cleaned it up and it looks much better. After some more clean up and a clear coat it should really stand out against the Gretsch Orange.

tumblr_m9lqn2mm4g1qkj544o1_1280.jpg

Very impressive project Rob. The wiring looks like it's going to be a real headache. One thing that's bugging me. The pics make it look like the curved slots need the curves smoothed out. Is that just a camera angle thing?

SR

ScottR not exactly sure what you mean by the curved slots. Are you talking about the f holes? There is still a lot of smoothing out that needs to be done.

As for the wiring, I am going to be doing a wiring mock up on a cardboard template this week. I'll post pics of it.

Very impressive project Rob. The wiring looks like it's going to be a real headache. One thing that's bugging me. The pics make it look like the curved slots need the curves smoothed out. Is that just a camera angle thing?

SR

ScottR not exactly sure what you mean by the curved slots. Are you talking about the f holes? There is still a lot of smoothing out that needs to be done.

As for the wiring, I am going to be doing a wiring mock up on a cardboard template this week. I'll post pics of it.

No, the F-holes look great. Binding or purfling something like that has got to be a royal PITA. I was refering to the slots in the headstock....would you call those string post access slots for your second set of tuners? It's probably just the pic but the one on the bass side looks like it has a slight jog in it.

SR

SR

No, the F-holes look great. Binding or purfling something like that has got to be a royal PITA. I was refering to the slots in the headstock....would you call those string post access slots for your second set of tuners? It's probably just the pic but the one on the bass side looks like it has a slight jog in it.

SR

Gotcha. Yes they are needing a lot of attention. I am still working on how to get the strings through. I am thinking these will be for the drone strings. Before I'm through with the headstock I'll hopefully have it all cleaned up.

This looks very cool. I love what you did for the headstock. When i first looked at it, i wondered how you were going to fit all the tuners on there. :)

On your friends kit-build, are you modifying the bridge? I only see 6 spots for strings.

I think 6 string go through the body and the other 6 go through the back of the bridge. He didn't drop off the bridge, just the body.

Okay, I made the Part III video. The neck is glued-in and most of the binding is done. I still need to bind the headstock and get the side tuners tweaked out (technical jargon for more sanding). A big part of this build is the wiring. I'm using the Graph Tech Ghost system and it's a little intimidating. I will be working up wiring and testing on a template I made before I install it. Not sure if anyone used this system. It looks straight forward. There is a switch in the wiring diagram that is labeled "optional" in some diagrams, but not in all of them. I am hoping to go without it, but I did flatten out an area under the top just in case I need to drill an additional hole. The other thing about this system is that I will have to file new slots for the double stings to go into the bridge. Graph tech states not to do this in the instructions, but I am throwing caution into the wind to make the customer happy.

timestamp='1347047967' post='513963']

The other thing about this system is that I will have to file new slots for the double stings to go into the bridge. Graph tech states not to do this in the instructions,

Thus my previous question. I am most interested in how this turns out. The Veillette 12 string I am building- I was going to go with an undersaddle pickup- but seeing that the strings are in unisons (not octaves)- I really wanted to go with a TOM type bridge so I could individually adjust each unison set of strings. Some piezo loaded TOMS look like they have the slot exposing the element (or have some type of buffer material- so I have been fearful of spending the money and trying to slot each saddle only to fook it up cause I have filed into a wire or am unable to file deep enough for the element to work. That would be my luck. If you are sucessful- I may go ahead and be a lemming and follow your lead. (and thank you for blazing that trail! perfect timing!)

The build looks great. I can appreciate the amount of work that headstock has created for you. Cant wait to see and hear this one.

Edited by Mr Natural

timestamp='1347047967' post='513963']

The other thing about this system is that I will have to file new slots for the double stings to go into the bridge. Graph tech states not to do this in the instructions,

Thus my previous question. I am most interested in how this turns out. The Veillette 12 string I am building- I was going to go with an undersaddle pickup- but seeing that the strings are in unisons (not octaves)- I really wanted to go with a TOM type bridge so I could individually adjust each unison set of strings. Some piezo loaded TOMS look like they have the slot exposing the element (or have some type of buffer material- so I have been fearful of spending the money and trying to slot each saddle only to fook it up cause I have filed into a wire or am unable to file deep enough for the element to work. That would be my luck. If you are sucessful- I may go ahead and be a lemming and follow your lead. (and thank you for blazing that trail! perfect timing!)

The build looks great. I can appreciate the amount of work that headstock has created for you. Cant wait to see and hear this one.

You are absolutely right. There is a chance that I am taking on this. My customer is willing to try it, since it's the only option we could come up with that would allow some type of compensation. It would great if we could compensate on each string. This is closest we can get. I'll take pic of it and do some sound clips. This wee I will be wiring it all up.

2 simple goals this weekend. Get the headstock bound and figure out the tailpiece.

I've built a few wooden tailpieces and I really like them. They make the guitar look much more high end. I wanted this one to feel much lighter than it will actually be (since it has to hold 12 strings). The center maple block will be stained orange like the rest of the body. Giving it the appearance that it's hollow in the middle. I also radiused the top to make it feel more delicate.

The one thing I have never figured out is how to attached them. I never liked the Benedetto approach. I've seen some guys with an angled metal bracket, which seems hard to build out of brass. I do like the way Myka builds his. He uses a big piece of brass with a pin running through. I started to build it like Myka's, until I took another look at a big brass hinge I had. I was able to knock the pin out pretty easily. This made it a "no brainer". After a ton of finessing and routing I was able to get the hinge to fit into the tailpeice and angle the right way.

tumblr_ma47nzFzbi1qkj544o1_1280.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally sprayed some color. Photo looks red, but it more orange in person. I am scraping the binding now. I must have used the wrong tape, because there is a ton of residue on the binding. This will take some time and patients.

tumblr_mbakk8fOgw1qkj544o1_1280.jpg