What floyd is best

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

The OFR is my personal fave, but is there something better? Where is it available? How much is it?

Below are just some things I found on ebay. Feel free to advise me to stay away, or bid. I need the best bang for buck here. Quality is #1

This is a difficult question. Concerning quality & craftmanship the Schaller units are the best of the best. They are even better than the OFR which is built by Schaller as well. Everything important is hardened, and the have simply not even the smallest impurity in manufaction. I like the new Schaller Low Profile Floyd very much. Feel is a very difficult question though. Many people prefer the feel of the Ibanez units, although the kinfe edges on Ibanez are said to wear out much faster.

HTH,

MK!

this should be a great flame thrower topic :D

my personal fav is the floyd pro sleak look, and rock solid construction, although i'm thinking about trying out some of these schallers to see what all the hype is about

i only recomend schaller or OFR if you want top class, and ok Gotoh's ok.

under no circumstances go anywhere near an Ibanez floyd, unless its the original Edge, which isnt bad...... but the new Ibanez FR.... B)

just buy a OFR, even if its old..... the older, the better! 80's OFR are more stable than newer ones and are pretty much built like tanks. and they cost cheap, i got mine, 1986 OFR for just over $70 on ebay.....

pretty much all trems are d-tuna compatible as pretty much all use the same saddle spacings and design

:D

Roman

d1_1.JPG

Would this be any good?

looks ok, but then i dont know who its made by.....

if you can help it, buy a German made Floyd. germans make the best hardware....

also you're gonna pay like $30+ because its gold plated...

but hey, if it goes with the look, then go for it......

but i still stand on my opinion that old OFR ARE the real deal.

lets not forget it was the OFR's success that put Kahler, which had a better design tremolo, out of business because OFR is simply unbreakable and the most reliable bridge if looked after and installed correctly.

Roman

yes yes, that is true, schaller's give a beefier tone..... i think their base is wider and sustain block is a bit bigger.

but i prefer OFR's the tone is more elegant and cut-through, which suits my style better.....

Roman

Yeah, it looks to be heat treated, and not just forged. It looks to be shaller made as well. For $24.99, I cant go wrong. Other ppl are selling the same assembly for $100. Unless I am terribly mistaken. The I'll ebay the bastage myself.

This is a difficult question. Concerning quality & craftmanship the Schaller units are the best of the best. They are even better than the OFR which is built by Schaller as well. Everything important is hardened, and the have simply not even the smallest impurity in manufaction. I like the new Schaller Low Profile Floyd very much. Feel is a very difficult question though. Many people prefer the feel of the Ibanez units, although the kinfe edges on Ibanez are said to wear out much faster.

HTH,

MK!

I didn't know schaller had a new low-profile floyd... is it any different to the Floyd Rose Pro (as used on the kramer proaxe and nightswan 2 in the early 90´s)? interesting...

anyway, I'd suggest the OFR or maybe the gotoh floyd simply because I haven't heard a bad thing about them so far (plus of course the OFR works flawlessly in my guitars).

Guest AlexVDL
Yeah, it looks to be heat treated, and not just forged. It looks to be shaller made as well. For $24.99, I cant go wrong. Other ppl are selling the same assembly for $100. Unless I am terribly mistaken. The I'll ebay the bastage myself.

25 bucks is pretty cheap, so go for it. But look out for those schaller copies though, they do have hardened knife edge inserts but the baseplate still is very soft. If you tighten the srews for the saddles to much you can damage the baseplate and then you will end up with loose saddles :D

25 bucks is pretty cheap, so go for it. But look out for those schaller copies though, they do have hardened knife edge inserts but the baseplate still is very soft. If you tighten the srews for the saddles to much you can damage the baseplate and then you will end up with loose saddles :D

Well, they emailed me with info. They are insetrs and the baseplate is die cast. The spacing is the same as the OFR, so I can upgrage later. Also, I will be careful, I usually only go snug plus 1/4 turn on my floyds anyway.

schaller, or gotoh. i personally wouldn't use anything else. gotoh makes all of the "ibeenhad" stuff, and schaller makes all of the OFR stuff, so those two are the best. why waste money on cheap crap copies?

p.s. OFR is my personal fave, no other does it for me like that one does.

pps oh yeah, i am getting tired of the edge trem push in trem bar, so i replaced one of my "ibeenhads"with a real bar, screw in type.