Repairing My Bike

My bike as it was before I dropped it.when i dropped it the lower corner of the fairing skirt on this side pushed a metal clip through the aluminum pan you see right there that says BMW

599421_450627754977884_1904576298_n.jpg

Everything off and pan removed.Not as difficult as i thought it might be

10493_450627584977901_1342190859_n.jpg

outside of pan crack...Quicksteel high temp. steel reinforced epoxy putty good to 500farenheit

304688_450627624977897_1512461000_n.jpg

inside same thing...surfaces all roughed up so it will hold.I would love to buy a new pan but BMW parts are obscenely priced

294563_450627681644558_1557324058_n.jpg

Now I have to wait an hour to sand it smooth

I sanded and painted it.I could have made it invisible with a little more sanding,but I was worried about getting the putty too thin because it might flake off or something

228405_450667028307290_519084218_n.jpg

309200_450664254974234_476222473_n.jpg

Back together.Not much different.Small crack on the bottom of the fiberglass

298764_450664311640895_1387535353_n.jpg

spent a lot of my day weekend (yesterday and today) doing the same. yester day pulled the engine out of my suzuki my buddy took it to his shop today at luch we worked on it (jumped time) by the end of lunch there was me and three mechanic looking at all this crap going dam why did they build it like this. well i got it back (i hope) then went to his hous and we got the engine back in. a few more hours and i will be able to fire it up and see if i did any good.

I like that Wes. I've been thinking about a sport tourer myself but I just got an '05 Yamaha YZF600R with only 2100 miles on it for $2500, mint too.

This '75 Yamaha RD350 two stroke is loads of fun. Rescued it from grandma's barn. My Dad used to take me for rides back when it was new. Talk about easy to work on. Dropped the motor, split the cases, replaced all seals, honed the cylinders and replaced piston rings on a weekend of casual wrenching. Other than the power band, ease of repairs are another reason to love two stroke machines. BTW, my 'Fonzie' avatar was a joke from back in the old forum days that had to do with sticking it up someone's azz not anything to do with motorcycles. I'm not really that lame. Eh, maybe I am but for other reasons.

Outtagas.jpg

The '05 YZF600R. It's fun and fast but kills my back after an hour. I'm used to cruisers.

CIMG3453.jpg

My next project is to get a new set of carbs on the '79 Yamaha XS11 Special. Old pic from last house as we were moving so sorry for the mess.

bca5430b.jpg

• Like 1

That '79 Yamaha is sweet as hell.I would get that puppy going and put one of those clear fairings and a set of good bags on it.Crotch Rockets are okay,but they are not for old men such as us...Old men need to have SOME dignity.

If this BMW of mine were ever to go off into the great Route 66 of the sky,I think my next bike would be one of the modern low seated cruisers,like the Suzuki Boulevard of about the 1300cc variety...mainly because the BMW has the seat so high that even though it is just right for me once I am on it,it is a little bit of a PITA for this middle aged man to kick his stupid leg over when mounting.

Wes, if you ever do move to more of a low seated cruiser I would suggest checking out what Honda has to offer. I went with the VTX 1300 for a few reasons. 29" saddle height so center of gravity is nice and low, longer frame so more comfortable to ride (even though I am only 6' tall I felt cramped on most bikes I tried out), shaft drive, and liquid cooled. All this for less than 1/2 what you could pay for the equivalent Harley.

Yeah the VTX 1300 is on the short list as well.Truth is if I ever need to buy another bike I would end up with the least expensive good bike of that style on Craigslist at that time.

The Yamaha,Honda,Suzuki,and Kawasaki models are all nice and they all have similar characteristics.I would never buy a Harley..it's just too much to pay for a bike just for a cliche.Same thing could be said about BMW,but I got mine for $2600,and as long as I do all of the maintenance and repairs myself and don't go crazy with upgrades then it is as affordable as any bike.

All of the Japanese bikes in that size range are liquid cooled and most are shaft driven...so is my BMW for that matter

Funny you mention old men on crotch rockets cause my 73 year old Dad took the YZF out last week and I haven't seen it since. He says he's put over a thousand miles on it already which amazes me. After 45mins I'm ready to get off of it, lol.

I love that XS but it is very top heavy. Got it back in '98ish with 7400 miles on it. It now has over 85K miles of fun on it. The thing has loads of torque and rides very smooth with a shaft drive.

As for cruisers, I do like the VTX but the Raider is a nice looking machine too. I've also thought about an ST1300 after wiring several of them up as police interceptors but the styling on the FJR1300 is very cool.

If I hadn't seen the deal on the YZF I'm sure I would have spent a day riding each; Honda ST1300, Yamaha FJR1300, Honda VTX and the Yamaha Raider S.

@Tim37, I love that little RD. By far the most fun bike I've ridden. Surprisingly fast 3rd gear wheely machine that handles great. Track day was fun hauling my 200lb. ass around several kids on 600 supersports. Very inexperienced riders of course but was still a hoot on an almost 40 year old bike. Yamaha made that motor liquid cooled and put it in the Banshee quad.

Thanks for the welcome back! Wife and I are back in school and I quit my job to raise my daughter after we found out she has Autism so I play mostly mellow acoustic songs these days, lol.

After my wife finishes Law School next year she says she will set me up with a nice workshop. I still have to finish my undergrad studies online to get into an engineering program. So there's some TMI for you all, hehe.

Don't ever think that BMW isn't top heavy...It's almost as top heavy as my old KZ 650 full dress I had in my late teens/early 20s...In my motorcycle course to get my license renewed I rode the provided 250cc "cruiser" and I was blown away by how much lower the center of gravity is on those things...My buddy's 1100 Honda Cruiser is also much better balanced than my "flying brick"...

But when you get that BMW out on the open highway it is beautiful.It also is much faster in the top end than my buddy's 1100...we passed an 18 wheeler on a 2 lane highway on the way to San Saba and we didn't have much time to waste between hills so we both gunned it...and I nearly ran him over before I realized I needed to back off.He said he was giving it all he had but I was at 105mph and climbing fast by the time I cleared the front of the 18 wheeler and I had to jump over to the far outside to clear his back tire until I could slow down enough to get back behind him.

Vankirk,there is no such thing as TMI when you only come around a couple of times a year.

My old grips were worn out

292930_451344531572873_219760913_n.jpg

So I got some new ones.To be honest I am not sure about the new ones,they don't seem as comfy,but they do look good.

418861_451344584906201_1380183390_n.jpg

On that long trip i noticed the old ones were really losing small bits into my hands..Hopefully this will stop that.

Funny you mention old men on crotch rockets cause my 73 year old Dad took the YZF out last week and I haven't seen it since. He says he's put over a thousand miles on it already which amazes me. After 45mins I'm ready to get off of it, lol.

I love that XS but it is very top heavy. Got it back in '98ish with 7400 miles on it. It now has over 85K miles of fun on it. The thing has loads of torque and rides very smooth with a shaft drive.

As for cruisers, I do like the VTX but the Raider is a nice looking machine too. I've also thought about an ST1300 after wiring several of them up as police interceptors but the styling on the FJR1300 is very cool.

If I hadn't seen the deal on the YZF I'm sure I would have spent a day riding each; Honda ST1300, Yamaha FJR1300, Honda VTX and the Yamaha Raider S.

@Tim37, I love that little RD. By far the most fun bike I've ridden. Surprisingly fast 3rd gear wheely machine that handles great. Track day was fun hauling my 200lb. ass around several kids on 600 supersports. Very inexperienced riders of course but was still a hoot on an almost 40 year old bike. Yamaha made that motor liquid cooled and put it in the Banshee quad.

Thanks for the welcome back! Wife and I are back in school and I quit my job to raise my daughter after we found out she has Autism so I play mostly mellow acoustic songs these days, lol.

After my wife finishes Law School next year she says she will set me up with a nice workshop. I still have to finish my undergrad studies online to get into an engineering program. So there's some TMI for you all, hehe.

a while back i hurt my back (just a pulled muscle no biggie) but i found my r1 was the most comfortable thing i had to get around on for a week or so right now i have a few bikes a 2011 r1 a 2000 gsxr600 and a 79 kz440 i am a yamaha guy i just got good deals on the gsxr and the kz my first bike was a dt250 and then i road my dads sx650 when i was younger i loved them both. It doesnt supries me that the rd did so well they where fairly fast bikes in there day and being a two stroke that thing is proabably making around 75hp (my guess) where the gsxers are making around 100. so there isnt that big of a difference with a good rider on the rd.

My best friends son has autism he has him in a program for special needs children they have done wonders. his motor skills have advanced past where he should be (the kid is a little rainman when it comes to jig saw puzzles) his scocial skills are good unless your a pretty girl then he gets shy he is still lagging on things like speach but he is getting there its a state program here that is free they even took his two year old in so they could monotor him but they told him that he will proabably test out here in the next couple of months. so far its been a great program for him any way i dont knwo if they have any thing like that where you are.

Oh this reminds me...these new grips suck..very uncomfortable..do not buy these.

I ordered some grip covers to help.These would cause blisters on a long ride and gloves won't grip them either...they sacrificed comfort for good looks and durability.

If you have small hands they may do better for you.

RDs were so popular they made a bunch of them so they are still pretty easy to find for cheap. Easy to work on and the most fun I've had on a bike. Takes a bit of tinkering to get it jetted and timed right but well worth it.

1st & 2nd gear will make the front wheel point straight up and 3rd will lift a couple feet off the ground. They handle extremely well, too. Not a supersport but I love it.

I highly recommend one to any intermediate/ advanced rider.

Here's a vid riding passed my house. Had to let off at the top of the hill since cars were coming. I've since added an electronic ignition and dialed in the jetting and timing better.

Post a vid when you're done Wes, if you're able to.

i think i bent a valve in the gsxr im getting tired of it i think im gonna try to get it running and sell the thing it was ment to be a beater any way and now i have the little kz its kinda pointless to have the gsxr.

My first bike was a dt250 when i had it, it was just a trail bike no tags but it was a blast it to be honest i wouldnt mind finding somethign like that or a rd to ride around.

• 3 weeks later...

Started off as a TX 500 frame, I cut the rear end off, built the hard tail with a 3 inch stretch and a 2 inch drop. Installed the 8 inch over front end. Got a bare xs 650 block that I installed new. 50 over high compression pistons, web cams camshaft with high lift lobes, titanium valves and heavy duty springs and retainers.

At this point I am waiting on new seat, springs, key switch and rear fender.