Guitar Of The Month For September

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

When I saw Scott's build thread earlier in the month I was convinced it would have my vote .

All 4 could have walked away with it this month.

Curtisa.....SY6 Superstrat - "Deep Earth"

Stunning! I love natural guitars. Just went back and read your build thread, great save on the horn. A pic of the back would have been nice, I love the shape, and the finish is very nice. The only things I would add would be a marker at the twelfth and a name just in the recess on the headstock. You got my vote

ScottR.....B.B.Red

I thought you were going to get my vote but alas not. This should be framed and put in an art gallery. Great carve on the back taking in the cavity cover.

SEARLS - Ceylon Blue Quilt top SS6

The "build it out of unused material" is something I plan on doing. Nothing negative to say about this another great build. Pic of the back perhaps.

Shad Peters.... Buckeye Carved top Vixen

Much the same as Searl's . The Buckeye looks superb, in another month yes, but not this one.

Curtisa.....SY6 Superstrat - "Deep Earth"

Stunning! I love natural guitars. Just went back and read your build thread, great save on the horn. A pic of the back would have been nice, I love the shape, and the finish is very nice. The only things I would add would be a marker at the twelfth and a name just in the recess on the headstock. You got my vote

Thanks Jaycee. I actually umm-ed and ahh-ed about taking a photo of the back as the Queensland maple had a really nice marbled pattern once coated, but opted not to as all the cavity covers still had their protective peel-off plastic still attatched.

Curtisa - I like this one. Feels very familiar to me. I think the only thing that the design gets lost is the seven shades of tan. It seems to be missing the contrast to make it pop in photos. A little light/dark goes a long way. I bet it is amazing in the sunlight! Btw swap the volume and the switch and I will take it.

ScottR - Pretty original. It is hard to take a new spin on anything these days but I think you did it. The red burst came out nice, I like the carve on the back/top/headstock. Knowing you blew the thickness of the headstock lost a point but you had a great recovery with the ebony spacers (it would be hard to see in pictures). Also the spot at the base of the neck is still driving me nuts. Only suggestion would be to make the volute area on the next one a little more svelte. Nice Pickups ;) Got my vote.

Searls - Not much to say on this one so here is my compliment. I have a friend who wants to learn how to finish guitars. I sent him a link to this build thread and told him "This is how you do a blue guitar with a quilt top." Nice finish job. Good build thread. A solid workhorse build.

Shad - Nice shape for a single cut. Not a fan of aged hardware and a flawless finish. It looks silly. I would rather see brand new hardware with that beautiful top than the faux aged hardware. Also in the pictures this one gets lost in a sea of browns... not enough contrast. The aged hardware and binding blend in with the tans and browns..... good news is swapping hardware is easy, bad news binding is not. Are those gaps at the binding corners on the headstock or is the light playing tricks? Overall it is a gorgeous guitar and like Curtisa's must be stunning in person.

curtisa: The only nit I can pick is the lack of contrast, especially on the bi-level headstock. From a few feet away, the whole thing would blend into the same brown tones.

ScottR: The big monkey-grip thing is interesting. It really makes it stand out from the crowd. I like what you did with the c/c cover. I've never really been a fan of putting the controls into "bowls" like PRS made popular, but that's really the only thing I can come close to criticizing on this one.

demonx: I'd like to have seen the headstock wood somewhere else on the piece. It throws off the continuity not having it elsewhere. Also, I like an extra lam in the scarf when the neck is multi-piece and the headstock is solid. Other than that, it's a really solid ax.

shad peters: The only nit I have to pick is that the logo blends in with the headstock and is hard to see. Other than that, I got nuthin' to say other than "it's not my thing, but it looks great."

demonx: I'd like to have seen the headstock wood somewhere else on the piece.

Dude - the headstock is an offcut from the quilt body top!!! Its cut from the exact same board and painted in the same blue!!!

Dude - the headstock is an offcut from the quilt body top!!! Its cut from the exact same board and painted in the same blue!!!

I read something yesterday(on my horoscope of all things) that seemed to apply more to GOTM than my life.I will paraphrase

"You will receive criticism today,but that's okay because your personality is the type that needs it to reach your best efforts.Some people will criticize in order to be constructive,and some will feel the need to do so in order to feel better about themselves.It should be easy to tell which is which,so only pay attention to the constructive criticism"

Now,IMO I think your guitar looks great and I would be proud if I had built it.I do the same thing sometimes(cutting the scarf from the leftover body wood).

I don't know that I would enter a guitar in GOTM personally these days because I feel that criticism of personal choices such as wood used and hardware chosen is a cop out and feels insulting.I personally feel that only craftsmanship should be mentioned,and it sometimes drives me nuts that a poorly built guitar of pretty woods will win over a better crafted guitar of plain woods.What use is a pretty guitar if you can't play it?

I like your guitars because they are obviously players.Workhorses that will always play well and in your case look totally pro as well.

Personally I hate the look of guitars with rounded edges from router bits and not perfectly flat surfaces from using orbital sanders to do all of the sanding...it just looks sloppy to me.This does not apply to your work..But I rarely mention it because it's not my business.Your guitars have nice clean edges and flat surfaces,so you should just be happy with your results.

Now if you felt the headstock transition was abrupt looking,a laminate in between the scarf would end the lines of the neck gracefully,or you could continue the lines through the back of the headstock like inlayed binding...I don't think it needs it,but in the future it might be something you find interesting.

I find in GOTM people heavily criticize the best builders and ignore the faults of the worst builders...I think it is a subconscious desire to not speak ill of people that lack skills...since you get the heavy criticism,you are probably doing just fine.

I voted for Scott this month.If you aren't going to have flat surfaces,shaping the entire thing works,too...this one breaks a lot of the rules in a way that works.

nice month four insane guitars i havent read through the post but i didnt see any flaws in the pics just a few things that i didnt like (just personal preferences)

for me it came down to curtisa and scott's builds i ended up voting for scott because of the work he did to the back side and his finish work i wish curtis would have posed pics of the back so i could have compaired them, that being said scotts control covers are top notch. Demonx and Shad both did awsome work but there final product didnt tickly my fancy.

I find in GOTM people heavily criticize the best builders and ignore the faults of the worst builders...I think it is a subconscious desire to not speak ill of people that lack skills...since you get the heavy criticism,you are probably doing just fine.

Almost always true.

I don't always take time to chime in but when I do I try to be honest and give criticism that will help. Some builders are so good that no one ever has anything to say about their stuff...

As a builder I really would like to hear about anything that is out of place or not right. Too often I get "Awesome" or "Great" and that is not critical enough to help me become a better builder.

When I get "Awesome" or "Great" from my peers whom I trust to be critical it means a lot.

I don't mind explaining why something sucks or went wrong in a build. Sometimes things go bad and you have to work around them ;)

Like many on this site have strong personal tastes about guitars that sway how I feel but I try to say when it is my opinion vs a real issue.