Cheap Binding Router Bit?

icetrey

I'm going to be routing a channel for the .090" x .250" (2.29mm x 6.35mm) binding that StewMac sells. I realize they sell router bits and bearings that I'm sure would work perfect. But the bit is $47. I will probably only use it this one time so I don't need a high quality bit that will last a while. Problem for me is that when I look for bits on other sites I have trouble knowing which one I need since that don't label them like StewMac where I know exactly what it's used for. What type of bit and bearing should I be looking for since I can't just look for 'binding router bit'? If you have a certain place you buy yours from please share. Thanks.

What you are looking for is a rabbeting bit. Finding one with a reasonably suitable diameter is the key. This is the first thing Google Image Search found with "rabbeting bit":

http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/GR32-504/14quot-Shank-Adjustable-Rabbeting-Freud-Router-Bit

An expensive example, but these bits are available everywhere. Find one with a single bearing however you need to ensure that the internal bearing mount diameter and depth are "common" otherwise you might find it difficult getting bearings to match. Now all you need to do is find a bearing supplier who carry the sizes you need in enough graduations to allow the bearing/cutter offset to produce the bearing channels you need. For what it is worth, if you find the graduations a little coarse then you can always wrap a layer of masking tape around the surface that the bearing rides on to make the cut marginally shallower.

Let us know how you get on.

What you are looking for is a rabbeting bit. Finding one with a reasonably suitable diameter is the key. This is the first thing Google Image Search found with "rabbeting bit":

http://www.mcfeelys....reud-Router-Bit

I love the comment a customer made:

Good: It does the job right on the first try. I'm not very experienced with routing, so if I succeeded then the tool is really good.Bad: gripping the tool while loosening the allen wrench to swap out sizes - - seems like one false move and you'll slice your hand open. You're holding this ultra-sharp bit, and tugging really hard with the allen wrench

Obviously, the thought never entered his head to fit the bit in the router and lock the spindle to change bearing :blink:

I went ahead and bit the bullet and got the StewMac one. It has good reviews and I've always been happy with stuff I've gotten from them before. Also, I do hope to get into guitar building more later (when I have more tools than a router). So I guess I will need it again, and the right tool can make any job a lot easier. Thanks for the replies. I do appreciate it anyway.