Goofed Up Finish Job What Should I Do Next?

gauze

ok my first finish job has gone HORRIBLY WRONG. I started with Danish Oil on Basswood which apparently was a bad idea since 9 coats in it was still drinking it up like crazy. So I switched to some spray hi-gloss lacquer (valspar) and after a few coats it is pretty scaley and not glossy at all. Should I keep spraying this thing or try something new that is idiot proof? (ie my speed)

I have sprayed lacquer over Danish oil successfully. You do need to give the oil a week or so to fully cure before applying lacquer though.

The dull and scaly appearance may just be due to your delivery system or spray technique. Is that a nitro lacquer? You can start with a horrible surface appearance and still level and buff to a high gloss if everything is cured. Pick a spot and buff it out. If it polishes up, carry on. If not, sand back and start over.

SR

• 3 weeks later...

You can oil then spray lacquer just fine. I often do a wet-sand with tru-oil for pore filling and then spray nitro over it.

As for the flat, it's hard to say without pictures, but ANY spray is going to have orange peel (especially out of a can if that's what you're using) and will need level sanding and polishing, etc. before you get a great gloss.

Chris