White Spots On/in Black Satin Finish

Stonefree

Well lookie there, you have smudged spots!

That is definitely some sort of paint, and it may very well come off with a solvent that will not harm the existing finish at all.

I would first try mineral spirits (paint thinner) and if this does not work, you may have to use something like acetone, BUT the acetone will only be safe if the finish us urethane based, which it likely is.

You can do a test with a Q-Tip inside the electronic cavity or the hole for the jack.

Moisten the Q-Tip, blot it with a paper towel so you do not have acetone or thinner running all over the place and give a good scrub in a small spot for several seconds.

Check the Q-Tip for any color transfer, if it is clean scrub in the same spot again and if it is still clean, try a light scrub on a couple of the smudged dots.

A word of warning...

If you need to go to acetone, tape off the binding with a couple layers of blue painters tape and let the tape run onto the black by a 1/32"-1/16" to keep the acetone from reacting with the binding.

If this does not work, some one experienced in finishes can wet sand that all off of there and then bring the whole neck back to a pleasing satin luster.

Just trying to let you know that this is totally repairable!

Give me your techs address and I'll send the bonehead a few rolls of low tack tape before he screws up any more headstocks*smack the back of head emoticon*

• Like 1