Build#6: Hollow Singlecut

Honestly, I like the first version better. The greater angle gives it more visual interest and uniqueness IMO.

SR

No 2 kind of makes the lower bout look more round, no 3 makes it look more sleek. I actually like the no 1 version best myself. Right now at least... I'll probably change my mind a couple of times and design a few more to make it even harder to decide. There is also the option to only have a soundhole on the upper part, that would make it easier to place the controls.

• 2 weeks later...

amazingly clean as usual, Pukko. Is the top glued already?

Thanks Eddie! No, the top, body and neck hasn't been glued together yet. I need to decide what soundholes I'm going to have and then cut them out. Must be a lot easier to do when the top is still a separate piece.

• 2 weeks later...

>>ScottR

Thanks!

Made a switch tip out of flame maple:

DSCF8221_zpsf511a960.jpg

It's a hollowbody and hollowbodies usually have a little sticker inside the body. I decided to try to design one. Here are a few versions:

DSCF8216_zps7ff9b15f.jpg

I also routed the body a bit more and blacked it out using ordinary water based dye to give more contrast to the soundholes:

DSCF8226_zps0be7fcac.jpg

Here's one of the stickers inside the body:

DSCF8227_zps90028090.jpg

...and a peek through the soundhole:

DSCF8239_zps9f6dc4ba.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I was planning on screwing the pickups directly into the body but to have another option I made some pickup rings in case I want to use that kind of mounting. The pickguard will be ivoroid bound ebony and why not match the rings to that? I had no ebony left and I didn't feel like ordering just a small piece. So, I took some leftover mahogany from the body and started drawing. The little bulges kind of echoes the headstock shape (if it wasn't offset).

I drilled holes in the corners of the pickup hole, sawed out the hole and the shape with a coping saw and used files and sandpaper to get the shape done. I wound up with this:

DSCF8268_zpsfb219935.jpg

Since the pickguard will have ivoroid binding, why not put some on here too...

DSCF8355_zps4448f3b7.jpg

I then dyed the mahogany with black dye and scraped the binding clean:

DSCF8358_zps5eee4770.jpg

That, is attention to effing detail. Fantastic. Ebony rings probably would have been a pain in the ass though because of the hardness?

Thanks! I think ebony would work. I made the pickguard out of ebony and it was pretty easy to saw it out. It might be hard to work with considering that it can be brittle. I think I would have done the outside shape first, put the binding on and then sawed the pickup hole out last. That way the binding might add stability and keep the thin parts of the ring from cracking/breaking.

I remember Pukko's first guitar back when i lived in Spain in 2006. I'm glad to keep seeing more projects coming from you, it feel like time stopped, now that i am back in Spain :)

Thanks Eddie! Can't believe it was way back in ´06... Time flies.