Build#6: Hollow Singlecut

>>psikoT, Wretched, sdshirtman

Thank you all very much! Glad you like it!

I played around in Photoshop to see it with some color. All the colors look too bright but you get an idea at least... Some colors I'm actually considering, some are just for fun. What do you think? Suggestions?

collageavfaumlrger_zps8a4035aa.jpg

Thanks to all for sharing your opinion! We'll see what color I choose...

As I wrote before, I bought some Duncan P-rails to use in this guitar. I'm not really liking the look of them so I figured I would camouflage them a bit... They look like this in case someone hasn't seen them:

DSCF8418_zpsdda9867f.jpg

I saved the pieces that I sawed out when I did the pickup holes in the top. I thinned them down, shaped them, drilled holes for the polepieces and bound them in ivoroid:

DSCF8429_zps58fdec73.jpg

On the pickup:

DSCF8437_zpscba2d7f2.jpg

...and with pickup ring. Bookmatched, grainmatched, bound bobbin toppers... Whatever color the top will have, these will have too I think :

DSCF8443_zpsaf3088c7.jpg

Impressive attention to detail.

Thanks!

If you like the idea of them, but not the look check out CatsWhisker Pickups UK. He does one called the Siamese which is a TRUE single coil (rod mags, not a blade) with a P90. The best part, chrome covered ;)

Chris

Can't seem to find any info about them on his website. Sounds cool though! Veijo Rautia of Rautia pickups does something similar but he has exposed rods for the "strat" coil as well.

Go for the purple. Nobody would go for purple on this type of ax, so it's the natural choice. Be bold... be different.

I like your thinking but i don't like purple...

Impressive attention to the details! Awesome!

My color vote goes to grey burst or blue ( blueburst you don't think?)

Congrats!

Thanks! I don't know if grey would work well since the bnding is this aged ivoroid color. White binding would look great with the grey burst!

Not likeing purple is fine. BUT.... the bursts and "traditional" color schemes, while classy and always look good, are boring. The orange would bring a nice Gretsch vibe to it, and with them having done it for so long, it balances the line between different and traditional. A nice deep teal is always nice too.

Not likeing purple is fine. BUT.... the bursts and "traditional" color schemes, while classy and always look good, are boring. The orange would bring a nice Gretsch vibe to it, and with them having done it for so long, it balances the line between different and traditional. A nice deep teal is always nice too.

I don't think I'll do it orange either. I have been thinking about something tealish though. PRS has two colors called Abalone and Slate that are in the not-quite-green-and-not-quite-blue category. I kind of like those. We'll see...

Teal-ish? Kind of like a cross between aqua and a charcoal? Sounds lovely.

I guess something like that, yes. Here's a couple of pics to show what I mean:

http://platinum.guitarcenter.com/platinum_images/products/large/17_11177092_b_lg.jpg

http://willcuttguitars.com/product%20images/122912/196611-1.jpg

http://www.buguitars.com/csgtr/ME_abalone3/IMG_0221.jpg

Teal is nice. I tried doing something like blue matteo for my PRS copy, but it ended up looking more like the abalone color of PRS:

DSC04261-1.jpg

Looks good! A little brighter than the Abalone though I think. Or maybe just an effect of the flash? Did you dye the wood or is it a colored clearcoat?

I did both. First i stained the whole guitar dark blue, then sanded back, and did a mix of turquoise and blue dies, sprayed the whole guitar with it, and then, i mixed some of it in the clear coat to fine tune the color i wanted.

I don't like dying wood with a rag unless it is for a sand back, it looks too uneven.

here's a picture without flash:

DSC04251.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I did both. First i stained the whole guitar dark blue, then sanded back, and did a mix of turquoise and blue dies, sprayed the whole guitar with it, and then, i mixed some of it in the clear coat to fine tune the color i wanted.

I don't like dying wood with a rag unless it is for a sand back, it looks too uneven.

here's a picture without flash:

DSC04251.jpg

That looks great! I think it's possible to get good results by dyeing too but it's definitely a risk that it will look blotchy. Raising the grain, sanding, repeating... and wetting the wood before applying the dye as well. that helps.

Glued the neck in:

DSCF8455_zps7052992a.jpg

But what's this suppose to be for?

DSCF8474_zps0b077dff.jpg

Well, I figured a soundhole on the side of the body would be cool. You know when you're trying to tune while unplugged and there's noise in the background so you have to put your ear to the body? Now you have a soundhole to listen through... Carving with the knife like I did with the back plates:

DSCF8467_zps510f59b8.jpg

Made a hole with a drill and a Dremel:

DSCF8476_zps0a015033.jpg

And with the maple cover on:

DSCF8484_zpsb410a49f.jpg