Upgrading The Shop Tools

RestorationAD

Hey Rad, due to your referral (and lots of internet review reading) I just placed a depopsit on a Laguna 14 SUV and a Resaw King blade.

The place in Brisbane (opposite end of the country form where I am) that is the importer are completely sold out, they have one container load of them arriving soon which is also completely sold out, then another container load due sometime end of September which is nearly all sold out. Mine should be in that Sept container.

Seems they're become quite fashionable over here in Australia.

I'm still umming and arrring about the drum sander. I've got hold of a mobile fork company that can unload it for me, I just wasnt planning on both that and the bandsaw purchase at the same time. Might have to hope the drum sander is still there in a few months.

Going in another direction (ie: protecting my lungs), I pick up two of these next week:

http://www.carbatec.com.au/carba-tec-1700cfm-room-air-filter_c1550

CTF-2000.jpg

Scored them second hand for $100ea second hand. (thats a $1558 saving on retail!!) I just hope they work. I'm going to assume the need new filters

Of course (dust mask)

My concern is how to hang them when these units are 50kg each. I don't have a truss roof in the shed and I'm not sure how much overall weight the top hat style roof I have can support since there's already other things hanging. I'm sure another 100kg won't be an issue but ill have to think it through proper

Another thing is, about 15-20 min from where I'll be collecting these is one of the biggest timber yards (for exotics) in the country. As its a couple hours drive from me I rarely get there and when I do companies like Maton guitars and Cole Clark guitars and many others have already picked the place dry, so its always the dregs. I'm hoping I score something though, even if its just a chunk of Macassar ebony or similar. Also need to stock up on maple again as I'm all out of my "never ending" stash! I just stocked up on 1.5" tassy blackwood last week (my fav body wood) as well asanother lot of 2" African mahogany, which is another fav of mine for necks and backs of body wings. I also scored twelve meters of vic blackwood inch board last week which ill be using for neck blanks as well. I've got a heap of African mahog inch board coming in next week as well which ill be using for neck blanks, so when I get to this timber yard i'll be more reserved as to needing to see something special

the air cleaners are cool if you can get them positioned right. A car restoration place I do paintwork for uses 2 of them. one mounted to the ceiling about mid point in the shop, but the other is on a trolly so it can be moved to where its needed most. Prety cool way of doing it, big tool trolly / air scrubber following you around everywhere.

The owner doesnt buy the filters for it either, He found out the type & grade of material in the filters & just buys it in sheet form from a wholesaler. Gets big rolls of it twice a year.

The shop is comin along realy well man. Im seriously startin to hate your guts at this point :D

Oh no I am pretty sure he hates you to Allan.

The shop is coming along. The wifey is not happy about the loss of the garage but whatever...

African Mahogany (Khaya) is my favorite type with Sapele running a close second.

I would love to get my hands on some (Aussie) Blackwood for a build or two. Just not sure where to find it in the states.

Right now I can tell you the Tormek is awesome but it is going to take some time to get good with it. Also I have to find a place to put it where water is not an issue because it is messy and wet.

There is a bunch of boxes in the shop right now with new tools (The SuperMax and the Buffer) in them and I don't have time to get to them.

We might be able to work out a trade of some sort.

Doesn't make sense, but here in Australia, Aussie timbers cost more than imported timber. I pay nearly twice the price of mahogany for blackwood. I guess its because there isn't massive plantations of Aussie timbers like there are for foreign timbers.

If you're serious about the blackwood thing, shoot me a message on Facebook and we can sort something out

We might be able to work out a trade of some sort.

Doesn't make sense, but here in Australia, Aussie timbers cost more than imported timber. I pay nearly twice the price of mahogany for blackwood. I guess its because there isn't massive plantations of Aussie timbers like there are for foreign timbers.

If you're serious about the blackwood thing, shoot me a message on Facebook and we can sort something out

Dude. Shipping across the pond kills any trade things we could work out. We could look into it but I just priced shipping a guitar in a flight case out at $621.00

Maybe if we could send it regular postage we could trade some stuff. I will pick it up on PM

Cork board. Used contact cement to put cork pads on each side of a 3/4" piece of MDF. This is for working on finished or delicate pieces were setting them on the bench is not an option. I usually use a towel but routing on a towel is not fun on thing things.

IMG_20130824_124506_zps937ef44b.jpg

IMG_20130824_124513_zps69d6cf75.jpg

IMG_20130824_124521_zpse1f51fa4.jpg

And the JDS. Had to hang it by myself. Not a lot of fun.

Right after I got it hung I put on my respirator and turned it on high. I then proceeded to blow the dust of everything I could reach in the shop.

It managed to clean the air in about 5 minutes. You still have to wear a mask when you are working but when you are done making dust it will probably be safe in 10 minutes to remove the mask.

IMG_20130825_153525_zps39fbee3d.jpg

IMG_20130825_153528_zpsb35bb82d.jpg