Searls Guitars Build Thread

demonx

It's not a major issue. I just have to sand it back and do it again.

Being how the wenge fills its a two or more fill and sand stages anyway. So it probably hasn't created any more work and fingers crossed it doesn't happen on the second coat, assuming that this coat sealed. Ill find out where I'm at after I sand.

I've thought about it and I possibly layed the sealer on a bit thicker than last time, so its probably a case of this new product I'm using needs more thinner coats rather than one thick.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ran into this with a limba guitar I was doing a few years ago.

Let me try and explain what happened.

The pores on the body ran from the butt to the heel. If you soaked the body in mineral spirits while sanding you could take an air hose, blow in the recess for the strap lock and mineral spirits would come out the pores in the heel.

So when I started to clear it the first few coats were fine. I filled the pores on it but some got opened up when I did the final sand.

I would shoot the clear in the heat of the day with 2 bright 100w lamps on the guitar body. After shooting a few coats I would turn the lights out and go do something else. After about 15 minutes it would bubble anywhere the grain wasn't filled enough.

The only thing I could think of were air trapped in the pores of the grain was being forced out by the change in temperature of the body and the solvents gassing off.

It was miserable and I never fixed it perfect.

I feel your pain as I have a cocobolo topped 7 that is behaving very badly with the oil finish I used on it. Now I have to sand it all off and start over.

Started another customer build today. This ones been on hold since last year but it was time to make it happen.

Andrew already has a SS7 (seven string superstrat) I made him and he wanted a SS6 to compliment it.

Specs are all African timber. Mahogony body and neckthru, Wenge fingerboard, Ebony binding. The last guitar I made for him is all Australian timbers. Bit of a theme thing going on.

994260_490953840986455_2138423404_n.jpg

62391_490953847653121_916189553_n.jpg

998886_490953827653123_1508462574_n.jpg

I used to be **** about adjusting it every cut and then somehow without me even noticing it just stopped happening.

This bandsaw is so cheap/shite it doesn't make much difference, on a real bandsaw its a different story

I used to be **** about adjusting it every cut and then somehow without me even noticing it just stopped happening.

This bandsaw is so cheap/shite it doesn't make much difference, on a real bandsaw its a different story

I laughed when I read this.

So I used to have to adjust and setup the cheap bandsaw before every cut. Now with the Laguna it doesn't need to be adjusted or setup because it is that awesome. And the cheap bandsaw doesn't get setup anymore because I only use it for non important cuts... Funny 2 bandsaws and I almost never set them up anymore.

Mate, these are just filmed on my iphone and then I crop them in the free windows movie maker.

I dont own a video camera or any special equipment or programs. I have no idea how to anything fancy, these clips are just thrown together.

If you look, every angle is flat as my mobile phone is just sitting on a bench or trolley. It's not even on a tripod! I bought a iphone tripod mount on ebay for $2.00 after the first day of the build hoping it'd get here quickly. I'll prob be finished the build before I get to use it!

No guitar updates today, its Sunday, my day off, but here is a new timber pic ... this is slabs from an Ash tree that was cut down at the property where I grew up. It's not quite ready to be used, but it'll sit around and look good in the workshop until it is! Not the most exciting timber, but I used to climb this tree as a kid and one day I'll be able to play it as a guitar!

988288_497863133628859_1962791283_n.jpg

No guitar progress pics yet but I did put together a new fret slotting rig today.

I Started off with this second hand radial arm saw:

IMG_5991small_zps5ac25ead.jpg

Removed the old chipboard bench and threw on some stuff I had left over from building my kitchen.

IMG_5993small_zps1cb7427e.jpg

I then added my stewmac slotting jig which I've hacked away at a fair bit to create clearance.

I also added some runners, so that when the template is at is ends, its always flat.

IMG_5994small_zps16495137.jpg