Searls Guitars Build Thread

demonx

I love it when you go back to your original type of work. Never enough time to paint these days?

Always busy with customer orders! This is one I started building over a year ago that I've finally just got round to finishing up, but the "project" guitars get put aside for ordered guitars

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely a lot of great looking stuff in here! Very impressive.

Sully

Thanks heaps for the kind words! Your work isn't too shabby either! I don't spend a lot of time on youtube, but every now and then I somehow stumble across one of your vids, think I've prob watched about five or ten of them. Usually pretty entertaining!

really nice work man, what kind of paint do you use for the airbrushing? same lacquer or other kind of material?

I would assume it is automotive basecoat.

Correct - Automotive 2k, PPG Deltron to be exact. I mix it to a thinner ratio compared to spraying cars or anything with a full sized gun. Normally I'd mix 1:1 but for airbrushing I mix 1:2

The red is "Viper Red", left overs from a Chevy Corvette I sprayed a while back, the camo is shades of an Olive color which is an Autothane (Autothane = PPG panel shop range) custom mix and then the shades I mixed myself on the spot using black to darken the two other greens

I always have white and black mixed up as I use them for pretty much everything. The only Black in this job was in the mouth, what looks like black in the camo is actually a really dark green that is is nearly black, then there is the white in the mouth and the white in the pin striping, then I dusted the whole job with a charcoal color to make it look dirty and war torn, less "brand new" as clean camo looks crap in my opinion.