Build 4 - Semihollow Prs Shape

Here is the plan for my fourth build. My goal on this one is to be clean and precise. My biggest downfall is rushing through steps and calling it "good enough", so I plan to work on that.

- PRS shape with slight modifications

- Chambered mahogany body with maple cap

- Maple neck, fingerboard wood TBD

- 25.5" scale length

- Bolt on neck (might become a set neck)

- Bigsby with roller bridge

- Zero fret

- Neck angle, scarfed headstock joint

- Filtertron pickups

Finish is still under debate. My last two guitars have been TruOil, but I'm tempted to try a stain with clear coat. I don't have a gun or any real painting supplies, so I'll need to research the clear coat before committing.

Here's the sketch:

8171004192_31ca7f2074.jpg

And here's a shot of the wood:

8170972329_4f02fb024b.jpg

My biggest downfall is rushing through steps and calling it "good enough", so I plan to work on that.

There's an old saying, something about if you find yourself saying "it's good enough" then you should throw it out and start again!

I know what you mean though. Most of my stuff ups are simply from rushing or not slowing down and doing something properly. It's a personality trait i'm still battling nearly every time I step in the workshop!

You might try one of these:

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/preval-9-oz-complete-spray-gun-267.html#.UJ-3PYc83Ak

They were recommended to me by a local luthier that uses them a lot. Since they use compressed air,there's no condensation, you can put whatever you want in that little jar, and they do a pretty good job. You'd be better off with a nice Sata spray gun and a good compressor system, but short of that, I think this may be the way to go.

Still in what I consider the wood prep stage, nothing fun yet. I got the maple bookmatch started. FIrst I run the edges of the board through the tablesaw, then I cut the remaining wood with a handsaw. Not ideal, but it works in the absence of a giant bandsaw.

8184000402_7d4623a0ce.jpg

and I got the joint prepped for gluing using a block plane and my granite sanding block:

8183996878_f4bf03af3b.jpg

The mahogany is shaped. It did not go as smoothly as I had hoped. I had one small bit of tearout, but nothing too major. My bigger concerns were the burning near the horns and the "hair" at the ends of the grains. This is my first time working with mahogany, so my questions are:

1) Is burning the symptom of a dull bit, or a dull operator (am I going too slowly or possibly the wrong way?)

2) Is the fuzzy hair at the grain ends also due to a dull bit, or is this expected with mahogany? I never had this problem with maple or cherry.

I see a lot of edge sanding in my future.

Thanks in advance.

8195303134_ebf90db053.jpg

Yeah, I plan to laminate the headstock. The benefit of this way is that I only have to replane the headstock face instead of the entire fretboard area if my scarf joint slips by a little bit. Planing is one of my weak points, so I try to avoid that if possible. Anyway, I'll need wings glued on for the headstock and I'd like to cover those up, too.

Only a little progress here. Glued up the scarf joint and have been spending most of my guitar time planning the pot mounting and f-hole cutting. This leads to a question. I'm having trouble figuring out the best way to cut the f-holes in the maple. I like the size of them, but my smallest pattern bit (1/4") won't fit in parts of the hole. The options as I see it are:

1) Make the f-holes bigger so I can make a template and fit a pattern bit in there.

2) Cut them "freehand" with a jigsaw, clean up with files.

3) Cut them "freehand" with a coping saw, clean up with files.

Any suggestions? I really like to use templates for everything, but I also like the size of these f-holes. How do other people cut these?

8235936803_102574f97e.jpg

8237005048_814fb8ac46.jpg

Made some progress tonight. I got the maple top planed with my router jig and cut the F-holes. I ended up using Forstner bits for the ends then very carefully using a scroll saw. I still need to do some detail sanding on the inside walls, but I'm very happy with the results and glad to be done with that part.

Extra bonus: taking these flash photos has shown me that this maple has a decent figure to it. I thought it was very plain until now.

8265178659_c5300dc36d.jpg

8266248160_6c5b28e7d6.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...