Project T906_1 El Mariachi

What kind of finished weight are you shooting for with these guys?

Not sure yet on the weight. But I am thinking in the range of my Parker Fly might be attainable.

Lets say 5 lbs with a high of 6 lbs.

Before you go all Ed Roman on me screaming "I have a swamp ash tele that is 6lb." and I would say right! But I plan on having a 3/8" Cocobolo top on a Mahogany variant, Brass/Stainless Steel bridge and tuners, Full Humbuckers and electronics in the same weight range.

Interesting process...

I thought you didn't like how covers influenced the sound of your pups......

and why do you need holes for 12 poles for the P-90 going in the neck position?

SR

Changed my mind.

I am bailing on the P90 for the neck right now. The P90 bobbin flatwork I ordered from Mojo is not what I expected and I am going to revisit them during my vacation at the end of the year when I have time to design something.

Since I plan on keeping this one for a while I am going to test some ideas I have on covers... these are Raw Nickel covers. I am hoping that they have a minimal effect on the tone while producing a really cool look. Also my new favorite pickup is my dirt model so having another guitar with a set in it should be fun.

I also had to learn how to create the finish on the covers you see in the pics for future endeavors so now was a good time to practice.

Don't worry Scott I have another almost identical T9 planned for next year and it will definitely get the humbucker sized P90s in it.

I'm totally stealing your pickup cover idea haha *ducks for cover*

There is no honor among thieves...

Kidding. I am just learning to do what everyone else is doing so have at it. I will tell you to get them darker I tried a bunch of things and I am not sure which one did it.

Interesting design. Body shape is les paul meets tele meets axis. Cool headstock design, but Im not sure it meshes well visually for me. Guess we shall see when its all together :P

Funny you should say that the other project is an Axis...

My headstocks never make sense until the guitar is done. Even then some people hate them.

That is some awesome ambrosia---the head stock cap looks like some old Indian art.

I love the new headstock design. It's got nice echoes of the inline HS with a little more visual balance.

So you've chambered a 1 3/8" body........are you shooting for a 2 pounder or what?

Yes I am shooting for very light weight but still balanced. The limba neck is really light and it is allowing me to do some things I can't usually get away with. We will see when I am building a maple neck...

One thing that has made the guitars inconsistent in the final weight are the exotic tops. Bloodwood, Ziricote, Maple, Soft Maple, etc... all have very different weights. It feels weird picking up a guitar so thin that is normal guitar weight. So I want them to be consistently light. Chambering is the answer. I plan to chart all the weights next year to create a matrix of how much chambering for the different tops/backs.

Unless you've disguised that P-90 to look like a humbucker as well as fit in a humbucker route, I assume you don't have it built yet or didn't when you took those shots. The Dirt/P-90 combination sounds promising. I don't suppose you have any sould clips of the Dirt on your site yet. (Obviously, I haven't been by in a while).

This is going to be a nice addition to your line, I like it.

SR

I am going to put the P90 in a nickel humbucker cover. However they are not done yet so I used dumby pickups.

I don't have any sound clips because my customers are lazy. They promise sound clips but never send them to me... I guess if you want something done...

How do you tighten the tuner nuts, when they are recessed like that? I did that on my recent guitar because they werent long enough, but now i cant tighten them.

See what Bob123 said.

I modified a socket by thinning the sides and grinding the face flat. Then polished the crap out of it... I will post some pictures of how to make one without a lathe when I get some time.

The washer and nut must be a differn size on yours then. On the hipshot tuners i used, the nut and washer have the exact same diameter, so there is no way you are getting anything between the nut and the hole they are recessed into. The needle nose pliars are the only thing i found to work, but even with extreme care they still scuff up black finishes.

The washer and nut must be a differn size on yours then. On the hipshot tuners i used, the nut and washer have the exact same diameter, so there is no way you are getting anything between the nut and the hole they are recessed into. The needle nose pliars are the only thing i found to work, but even with extreme care they still scuff up black finishes.

Same size. I have a little room between edge of the washer and the edge of the recess.

Kidding. I am just learning to do what everyone else is doing so have at it.

Some other manufacturers charge a big wad-o-cash for covers like that. So you are so damned right. Jump on the fashion wagon.

Cool lookin covers BTW. I like the 12 hole thing more so than the staining. but still cool man

Some other manufacturers charge a big wad-o-cash for covers like that. So you are so damned right. Jump on the fashion wagon.

Cool lookin covers BTW. I like the 12 hole thing more so than the staining. but still cool man

Yeah we know who you are talking about ;)

Honestly on this guitar the finish is going to look cool.

I ended up tinting them black a bit with the lacquer. The frigging feibings oil dye ran like crazy when I hit it with the first coat of lacquer.

• 7 months later...

T906 #1
El Mariachi

25.5" Scale
Limba Body with Ambrosia Maple Top
Limba Neck
Macassar Ebony Fretboard from the scrap bin at local wood shop
Hipshot Bridge
Hipshot Locker Tuners
3-Way/Volume with Push/Pull tap
Hand Wound Jazz Humbuckers on forbon base

IMG_3557_zpsd47d1500.jpg