Project T906_1 El Mariachi

Did you end up plugging the bug holes on that or just let them ride? I've got some in my limba that I haven't decided how I'm going to go with yet.

I see your covers got lost too......

SR

Scott I did a Reso once with an ambrosia top and filled the holes with abalone side marker dots. :)

@RAD The bookmatch on the top is great. I know how hard it is to get that in Ambrosia maple since it is not the grain but bug stains and they can be at many oblique angles. :) Super Job!!

MK

Did you end up plugging the bug holes on that or just let them ride? I've got some in my limba that I haven't decided how I'm going to go with yet.

SR

The holes are partially filled with the West Systems Epoxy I used to glue the top down.

I lost the covers because my stupid CAD drawing is so tight on the humbuckers that covered humbuckers don't fit the holes. I could not pull myself to risk destroying the finish by making them bigger. Also I did not think the covers were an improvement over the black bobbins. I decided to keep this one so as my guitar it has Jazz humbuckers and I am not a fan of covers...

I started on #2 and it will have covers... I just have to find the right top for it.

SR

Scott I did a Reso once with an ambrosia top and filled the holes with abalone side marker dots. :)

@RAD The bookmatch on the top is great. I know how hard it is to get that in Ambrosia maple since it is not the grain but bug stains and they can be at many oblique angles. :) Super Job!!

MK

Mikro you are not kidding I got lucky on the bookmatch ;). Finding good ambrosia is hard, using it on anything other than a tele is even harder. I have to find some more of the stuff.

SR

The holes are partially filled with the West Systems Epoxy I used to glue the top down.

I lost the covers because my stupid CAD drawing is so tight on the humbuckers that covered humbuckers don't fit the holes. I could not pull myself to risk destroying the finish by making them bigger. Also I did not think the covers were an improvement over the black bobbins. I decided to keep this one so as my guitar it has Jazz humbuckers and I am not a fan of covers...

I started on #2 and it will have covers... I just have to find the right top for it.

SR

MK

Mikro you are not kidding I got lucky on the bookmatch ;). Finding good ambrosia is hard, using it on anything other than a tele is even harder. I have to find some more of the stuff.

How much do you need? I have over 100bdft of it. :)

I saw the partial fill of the holes a page back, but couldn't tell if you went a ahead and finished plugging them up or not. The abalone side marker dots is a cool idea, but mine are on the back so that would be a waste in my case.

I thought the covers had a cool finish.......but agree with you that humbuckers look better without covers. Oddly enough, P-90s and strat type single coils look better with covers.....IMO anyway.

SR

I saw the partial fill of the holes a page back, but couldn't tell if you went a ahead and finished plugging them up or not. The abalone side marker dots is a cool idea, but mine are on the back so that would be a waste in my case.

I thought the covers had a cool finish.......but agree with you that humbuckers look better without covers. Oddly enough, P-90s and strat type single coils look better with covers.....IMO anyway.

SR

You know me... I never fill all the grain. I tell myself I am not lazy I am an artist. A little wabi-sabi goes a long way.