Neck Profile Idea

bob123

Id like to write this down before I forget it...

To get consistentt neck profiles seems to be a pain. I was thinking, make a "spare" neck, shape it perfectly how you want it. Take that peice, make a fiberglass mould out of it. Make the fiberglass really thick and sturdy, attach it to a solid piece of material, and use it to fine tune your neck profile exactly accurate. Obviously, you would need to rough shape approximate size then finish sand with the jig. Pull it off, finish sand, and you would have an exact copy...

Time would be the factor here, this would not be a fast process...

If you want speed and accuracy, get a custom routing box, duplicarver, or cnc.

Spokeshave and rasps should be all you need to whip up a neck shaft on maple, in 30 minutes max.

I had a Marlin Duplicarver - they're considered the best of the best. It owed me a couple thousand dollars once freight etc was paid. I sold it. My $50.00 Dragon rasp from stewmac was a better investment.

Lol I don't think you guys understand. You shape the neck up, to rough shape. Then put the neck in the profile and move it back and forth a half inch or so, not the whole length. It wouldn't make different neck shapes lol, that's kind of the point!

I'm not about to invest in a duplicarver, id rather fork out for a cnc machine lol

and the next question we hear is "what kind of tone does fiberglass have"

Depends on:

• What tonewood dust you mix into the resin
  • What color mesh you use
  • Whether you buy big containers of resin and pump-out what you need, or the pre-portioned packets
  • Whether you add resin to hardner, or hardner to resin
  • Whether you cut your cloth on the night of the full-moon ore not.

Do I even need a <_<

Ray

You got off lightly. In the past we've had meet ups where we actually burn members at the stake.

Perry you are being too kind. Bob thinks his sheet don't stink. I say burn his ass. LOL!!

Just kidding Bob, just understand that there are builders here that have many years building, as well as age ( experiance). I was once bullet proof (like you and knew everything) until having been shot in the face and shoulder (shotgun) and to be honest, it Frigging hurt, I have the scars and the xrays to prove it.

So if you burn your ass in this one, So be it.

MK

Yes Carl, but being an Ass since day one can sometimes get one's ass heated beyond the point of credibiity. Always listen to someone's ideas with an open mind, until they prove themselves as having knowleadge or the ass they are.

Most responses from the OP here and elsewhere have indicated the latter. Another Litchfield up and coming.

MK