Guitar Of The Month For January

Guitar of the Month for January  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Thanks Jesse! The idea came from David Myka where he built a guitar a couple years ago and cut out an area and put a patch in to do something like this. When I played it I couldn't help myself but try it. I built upon the idea by placing the two florentine points which allowed me to angle that whole side area instead of building the guitar fully and then cutting out an area. I'm also working out a way right now to try and make it work as a bolt-on (which for obvious reasons I would like to use on acoustics over a set neck).

I too am a fan of innovation, especially in the hardware realm. I'm always highly impressed by those willing to do the metal work and design work to make a bridge. Therefore, my vote had to go to 'bass for a friend.'

A close second was the warbird. Very clean work, awesome paint! I know this isn't your fault but... I can stand how lefty guitars look hahaha. So much so, that as a lefty, I learned to play righty hahaha.

Chris

For reference, the always stunning work of Mr. Myka and his all-access neck joint: http://www.mykaguita...082/default.htm

I don't want to sound like a kill joy on the all access heel joint, but Ive owned 30yo+ acoustics with heels like that myka, however these were even more contoured. So it's not a new thing. I'm out of town at the moment but when I'm home I'll post a pic for Verhoevenc to check out.

On the topic of your build though, i like it very much, however the blue to my tastes turns it from desirable to un! No blue!

Hahahaha. It was supposed to be out-there, julting. So it works apparently :)

As for the heel, I'd love to see it! It's amazing the stuff that's invented long before (like I said, though, not claiming any invention here anyways) and doesn't hit the lime-light for one reason or another. Fanned fret lutes, etc.

Chris

Chris:

Heres the pics I said I'd post for you of the 1983 built guitar I used to have, I thought I had more pics, but it's been a while since I sold this one so the memory was a bit rusty. Hope you get something from it anyway. It's from the same company that created/pioneered the "heeless neck joint" in electric guitars which has now been duplicated/ripped off by nearly every neckthru guitar builder on the planet. They stared doing this on their accoustics in the early 80's.

0253_2.jpg

26feb002.jpg

It's not just the heel that makes that guitar great. I've been watching Chris post about this one here and on OLF for a long time now. It's an impressive build through and through. I wish there were more close up pictures here, as I think some of the most impressive bits are easily overlooked. It's over the top. I bet it sounds awesome too, which is the most important part of an acoustic build.

I see that that neck is set also. After 20-30 years did you see a need for a reset? And if so, how did you feel it would be accomplished? This is the main reason I've been designing, difficultly, a bolt on version in Rhino. I plan to put it on an archtops version for a friend coming up.

I know it doesn't help for this voting. But when I'm back from Saudi Arabia I plan to record some sound and video with it.

Thanks for the photos! Also, I don't know how to grab te URL off the OLF iPhone app, but DPM you're welcome to post the link to the build thread if you'd like.

Chris

Wow, the month started out quietly and I was hoping to have my prototype bass ready to enter myself, but that just straight didn't happen. In some ways I am glad because this month is another solid round of entrants!

Your Warbird is a great example of the Superstrat Allan, and it screams "Slayer!" to me what with the Kahler and paintjob. The inlays remind me very much of 80s BCR which is weird. I can't reconcile myself to it being left-handed though. They make my head spin. :-D

The evil Tele looks like a solid no-nonsense guitar. Another that is fitted with Bareknuckles too! I'm seeing a pattern.

I still can't get over how deceptively long the neck looks on yours, OurSouls. I have to keep reminding myself that it is full access to all 24 frets! Nice work given it was hand-tools only. Never quick or easy on a solidbody.

gpcustomguitars' bass has been an awesome exercise in fabricating everything using the most basic of tooling setups but succeeding through application and ingenuity. Your build thread has been excellent reading and great to see it get past the finishing line.

Chris, you have a dry sense of humour. It takes a great instrument or example of technique and method to demonstrate that adhering to tradition is more often than not just a bad hangup. You've managed all of this in one instrument. David's tutelage and influence in very much apparent in this instrument. I would love to see more photography of this instrument! Love the faux medullary ray flecks from your hoodie. ;-D

Beautifully executed snakehead on the Black Snake. It looks like a tempting build.

Wow, that top on Blue Velvet is crazy but there are so many other things to look at which make this a great build. I am still noticing new things on this one.

This month's entrants all have a lot going for them and my vote is perhaps not one people might expect. When I vote, the background, backstory, build thread or general journey the instrument has made takes precedence rather than letting my eyes do the work. This month is no different and it goes to a very deserving instrument. Applause in advance. :peace

Just had to vote for Chris, not because I didn't like any of the other guitars (I think I liked them all more or less), but because I love inventions and guitars that "break the rules". Great build too and I'm not put of enough of the blue burst even thou I would have preferred a more subtle burst than blue.

demonx - WARBIRD #1 - Excellent work as always. I particularly like the warplane theme. This is a full blown 80's rock machine. The fact it is a lefty makes me respect it more. I always panic when building lefties worried that I am going to not route something on the correct side... Got my vote.

FernandoEsteves - Evil Tele - We all needed better pics of this. I think this could have won if we could have seen it all.

Our Souls inc. - Patience - Best execution from you yet. Very clean. Not a fan of the breadwinner look but still nice. Only thing I might change are the headstock wings. I would make them match the main part of the headstock.

gpcustomguitars - bass for a friend - Love the bridge! This is a great looking bass. I bet it is awesome in person. The photos do not do it justice.

verhoevenc - OMarlin - Painting a perfectly great acoustic blue to try and win GOTM is just ridiculous.This would have gotten my vote if not for the hideous blue burst. Also why the light colored bridge? With the Blue burst as it gets lost in the top... All complaints about silly things I could fix with a little paint stripper the rest of the guitar is gorgeous and innovative. I love everything about it except the silly color bits. Chris please build one in natural for me.

fretman_2 - Black Snake - This was hard not to vote for. I have a spot in my heart for teles and the snakehead makes this guitar. Love it. The glue line near the headstock is a bit telling though and the black looks a bit flat. I would look to work on joints and execution in the future. Give me a knotty pine bodied snakehead with a nice vintage lacquer and you get my vote. Nice work.

Menapia - BLUE VELVET - Nice PRS. Looks great. I am just not a fan of PRS style guitars.

Chris: that pic completely kicks arse over the burst! I like it a lot!

One thing I find though is you're never going to please everyone. There's always gonna be haters. Do something to please one crowd and the other crowd will skin you for it, so yeah, do the blue, do one without the blue! Everyone's happy!

Thanks for the constructive criticism...the glue line was a concern...LOL. The finish is a very mirror glossy though...i was at a loss as how to capture it. All of the other entries are fantastic guitars. I'm just happy to be amongst you!

demonx - WARBIRD #1 - Excellent work as always. I particularly like the warplane theme. This is a full blown 80's rock machine. The fact it is a lefty makes me respect it more. I always panic when building lefties worried that I am going to not route something on the correct side... Got my vote.

FernandoEsteves - Evil Tele - We all needed better pics of this. I think this could have won if we could have seen it all.

Our Souls inc. - Patience - Best execution from you yet. Very clean. Not a fan of the breadwinner look but still nice. Only thing I might change are the headstock wings. I would make them match the main part of the headstock.

gpcustomguitars - bass for a friend - Love the bridge! This is a great looking bass. I bet it is awesome in person. The photos do not do it justice.

verhoevenc - OMarlin - Painting a perfectly great acoustic blue to try and win GOTM is just ridiculous.This would have gotten my vote if not for the hideous blue burst. Also why the light colored bridge? With the Blue burst as it gets lost in the top... All complaints about silly things I could fix with a little paint stripper the rest of the guitar is gorgeous and innovative. I love everything about it except the silly color bits. Chris please build one in natural for me.

fretman_2 - Black Snake - This was hard not to vote for. I have a spot in my heart for teles and the snakehead makes this guitar. Love it. The glue line near the headstock is a bit telling though and the black looks a bit flat. I would look to work on joints and execution in the future. Give me a knotty pine bodied snakehead with a nice vintage lacquer and you get my vote. Nice work.

Menapia - BLUE VELVET - Nice PRS. Looks great. I am just not a fan of PRS style guitars.

Thanks RAD. You're not wrong about that feeling when building a lefty. I had to check and double check everything as my senses kept telling me "it's backwards", "you're doing it wrong" !!!

I managed to get through the build, paint etc all well until assembly where I became a bit too complacent. Flipped the guitar over, pre drilled the strap lock hole in the horn only to realize I'd drilled it in the lower rather than upper horn by habit. Felt like a complete idiot.

A bit of saw dust and color matching to fill the hole, sealed it with superglue, gave it a quick sand and buff/polish and it's nearly invisible until pointed out.

I explained to the customer and took money off the end price because of this. He laughed about it saying such n such (a big name respected builder) did the exact same thing!

The customer also payed me more than I wanted rather than the reduced price as he was so happy with the guitar, then tipped me a bottle of gentlemans jack! I'd love to build another guitar for this guy, just wish he wasn't a lefty so I could play the thing!

• Like 1

Aww, c'mon, Demon- you coulda noodled on it awkwardly. I know I would've! It looks like an amazing metal-strat ,even if it is built backwards. In all seriousness though- the paint, wood selection, electronics- all look stellar. 100% Pro :D

That Evil Tele couldv'e definitely fared better with more pics- it looks sweet from what I see!

I'm humbled to be getting votes amongst such stiff competition, although I certainly didn't expect them. I didn't get much feedback in the build thread, so I figured I'd get some here.

My own vote went to Bass for a friend, I love the home-madedness of it. Plus, it's from a root, extra cool points for utilizing what would be waste to most people.

That Acoustic by Verhoevenc is beyond great, burst or no- I'd love to own it.

The Black-snake tele is killer in its own smokey bar-room kinda way too.

That blue PRS looks so professional it's not even funny, and again- I'm humbled to be amongst such monster builders. Y'all set the bar HIGH. \m/ \m/ Horns up.

I gotta agree with a number of folks above. You're really coming into your own OurSouls! Hands down this is your most impressive build so far. As for me, I like the non-traditional shape and all that! You shouldn't be humbled or anything for getting votes, you got them cause that's a cool guitar and it deserved them. Can't wait to see what you come out with next.

Chris

Chris: that pic completely kicks arse over the burst! I like it a lot!

One thing I find though is you're never going to please everyone. There's always gonna be haters. Do something to please one crowd and the other crowd will skin you for it, so yeah, do the blue, do one without the blue! Everyone's happy!

Oh yeah I am a hater. :angry:

Or I am mad I haven't designed a killer acoustic yet.... not sure. :rolleyes:

Or just feel like giving Chris a hard time... probably. <_<

Ok used up my emoticon quota.

Nice guitars this month.

• Like 1