Different types of ash?

I would like to buy swamp ash for my guitar but it seems most suppliers to refer to it as "swamp" ash.

http://www.precisecut.com/materials/wood/ash.htm

This site seems to give the different names for the same species of ash

Fraxinus nigra*-American Black Ash, Basket Ash, Black Ash, Brown Ash, Canadian Ash, Hoop Ash, Splinter Ash, Swamp Ash, Water Ash

I'm pretty sure this is the type of ash I want? So if a supplier only refers to it as Ash, what do I assume it to be? White ash? (which is not what I want(?))

Edit: Damnit! Fraxinus nigra is hard to find. Is white ash very different, for a guitar? What's the best place to get it, it must be cheaper to buy the wood than to order a body blank from Stewmac (100) or USACG (60) ?!

Edit numer 2: A few places I called say they have brown ash, but they never have it 1 3/4 (or 2) inches thick. Where the hell am I going to find the proper wood for this project!?

Gallery Hardwoods - Larry has sized body blanks ready to glue up. Call 'em if you need something special.

The body blank is still $55 though. Isn't that expensive?

Is swamp ash the only type of ash used to make guitars? Or do they also use white ash? I noticed on the Fender site that sometimes it says the guitar is made of "Premium Ash". This (http://www.fender.com/products/show.php?partno=0100202) '52RI Tele or simply "Ash" on this regular Tele (http://www.fender.com/products/show.php?partno=0118502).

Does Ash or Swamp Ash make a difference at all?

One other thing I just noticed, Warmoth (this page: http://www.warmoth.com/common/goodwood.htm) say they use both types of Ash for their body's. Their description brings me back to wanting "Swamp" Ash.

Will I really have to pay $50+ for enough swamp ash to build a Tele body? Why can't I find this kind of wood at big lumber stores?

Thanks,

joe

Swamp Ash is lighter, more porous than Ash. From the same tree, but the Swamp Ash is from the base of the tree...hence the term...Swamp Ash. I use both and regular Ash can get heavy. The swamp portion of the tree is limited making it less available, making it more expensive, and personally find it worth the $$ :D

Swamp Ash is lighter, more porous than Ash. From the same tree, but the Swamp Ash is from the base of the tree...hence the term...Swamp Ash. I use both and regular Ash can get heavy. The swamp portion of the tree is limited making it less available, making it more expensive, and personally find it worth the $$ :D

How much do you usually pay for a guitar amount of Swamp Ash? What is a fair price? Is $55-$65 expensive? Where do you usually buy your Swamp Ash?

Exoticwoods shows "Ultra Lightweight Ash" for $57 - Exoticwoods

They may not actually have it in stock though. Given the choice between Gallery and anyone else, I'd always choose Gallery. I've bought some beautiful wood from him. He had every chance to screw me by sending me lower grade since I did not request pics but each time I have recieved top quality wood. I can't say that for others that I have dealt with. I just wish he was located on the east coast.

Yes, it is more expensive to buy a milled body blank than to buy ash lumber - if you want to go that route, you can save some money at the cost of some extra effort. Black ash is a fairly common wood ; you'll want 8/4 stock, clear and at least 7 inches wide (for a 2-piece blank), kiln-dried and s2s (surfaced two sides). You'll need about 4 lineal feet, but you'll need to figure in an extra 30% or so for waste, so figure about 5 or 6 board ft. You'll also want to make sure you get the lightest available wood (most lumber suppliers don't know swamp ash from korina or chromyte, so you'll have to specify light weight). Then all you have to do is cut two pieces about 2 feet long, joint one edge, and glue them up. If you're in an area that has a lot of hardwood suppliers, you could save yourself some money. If you live somewhere like I do, where the lumber suppliers think lauan is a mahogany, then you'll have to order it sight unseen, and that can be a nightmare. Since $55.00 is a small investment compared to what I'd spend on hardware, pickups and finishing, I'd go for quality over price. Maybe somebody here knows a source of cheap, quality swamp ash.

Has anybody got some from www.forloversofwood.com ? I can get the right amount for 55 + tax + shipping Canadian. Its 2 inches thick but I can plain it for free. If I plain an eight off each side it should be pretty good right? I'll find out how its dried. Does it have to be kiln-dried? What other types of drying is acceptable?