Cherry/maple Lp

Can it be used to advantage, ie if I wanted to have the finish somewhat cracked?

I have "heard" of people taking a nitro cured guitar and putting it in the freezer for a while and then putting it in the sun to cause the finish to crack and look old,but I would never do that and I wouldn't trust it since I think it is too risky

besides...hard to find a freezer large enough for a set neck guitar

Started No2! Also working on v1.1 of the tr cover cutter, MDF could work if I put 2 dowels in. Salvaged already made template by making it 2...

Started by making sure that the body base is prefectly flat, and proceeded by sanding the back to get rid of all the marks. Next I plan to sand the sides, too. Laid out all the wood parts of the build, seems it's all there!

1img20130306113521.jpg

3img20130306113545.jpg

2img20130306113528.jpg

4img20130306113559.jpg

5img20130306113729p.jpg

Can it be used to advantage, ie if I wanted to have the finish somewhat cracked?

I have "heard" of people taking a nitro cured guitar and putting it in the freezer for a while and then putting it in the sun to cause the finish to crack and look old,but I would never do that and I wouldn't trust it since I think it is too risky

besides...hard to find a freezer large enough for a set neck guitar

Im one of those people. except i do it the other way around. I keep the guitar in my drying room where its a constant 32 centigrade (well, close to constant) Then I dunk it into a box freezer for a few minits. take it back out & hang it in the heat again.

Usualy crazes up the finish. But only if im asked fot it. & it only realy works with nitro varnishes.

Just plain acetone. I used to use it clean, but now I add some binding scraps to it, approx until it becomes milky coloured. I think I like it more, so I'll stick with it for now.

I tried the superglue, but it was hard on my fingers, and besides, it's not necesarry. I use it on binding the fingerboards, I believe it helps prevent any issues due to sweat, dirt etc, but I might be wrong...

Edited by gpcustomguitars

After some computer problems, some new pics. I've just finished wet sanding the No1 finally, I'll buff it out tommorow and start the assembly. In the meanwhile, No2 is progressing nicely. I have changed the procedure in some details slightly, and so far so good. Only problem I had was with the cheap wood screws I used to glue on the top - 4 out of 4 snapped when I tried to unscrew them, so I had to drill around them a bit, to get some grip for the pliers, and got them out. No damage done...just some wasted time.

After all the routing of the top angles and the ledge etc, I bound the body last night. I got a dedicated jig for routing a lot of neck related things, and tried it out on truss rod channel, way better han what I used to do :) I want to route the neck pocket now, fit the neck, and then glue the fretboard and carve the top.

1img20130316145616.jpg

1img20130317133419.jpg

1img20130318133508.jpg

2img20130318135720.jpg

1img20130319122522.jpg

2img20130319123620.jpg

3img20130319124641.jpg

4img20130319125215.jpg

5img20130319132627.jpg

2img20130320130539.jpg

3img20130320130701.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Thanks Scott!

I had some surgery done, and then had a burglary which left me without almost all the power tools in the shop... They left the bandsaw, as it was too heavy, but the rest...no guitar parts were taken, or the guitars - they just wanted the power tools. So I was not in the mood for a while, and then did a tele last summer for a class of kids as a graduation present to one of them - just couldn't say no :), they had a really low budget and really wanted that guitar as a gift to their classmate. I actually had to go and buy a router to do it :) Then some knife handles, an actual knife, a mug, some bows for the kids, wooden working Colt Walker, bog chair for me and then decided to finish this one finally and restart the guitars.

I'm working on finishing a few more, we'll see what happens :)

Thanks! Still working on the shop, I still sorely miss the orbital sander...anyway, here's the next one (one of them):

I guess you can tell I took this pic :)

I'll get help with a proper photo when it's done, but basically, this is my own LP, made about 8-9 years ago. Sapele body, mahogony neck, MOP details from an actual shell brought from a vacation, plain maple top etc...Big sound, but terribly heavy, and the neck profile was off and too thick. I scraped and rasped new neck thickness and proper profile, reset the nut and did a relief on the back, a la Dickey Betts. Also, wanted to change the look a little, and cut a pickguard out of some white acrylic plate I have.

The sound actually got bigger with the weight loss. I want to sand <_< it some more and repair the lacquer, but without the color, I want the transition plainly visible. Very comfortable too, although I would never say I would like a tummy cut on a LP before...

I plan to finish all the guitars I didn't quite finish over the last few years, we'll see how that goes :)

revizija.jpg