Explorer-V Solid Body (Work Title)

boeba

Hi guys,

allow me to introduce myself.

25 y old, i'm from Belgium, Bruges.

As a day job i make 3D for print and animation.

(I don't know if it's allowed to paste this link but here it goes)

http://umbracg.com/

This is the work of me and 2 friends, we started a business 2 years ago.

I have been playing a long time with the idea to build my own guitar. After reading alot of tutorials and books about the subject i decided to jump right in. First thing to do was to make my building plan and design of the guitar.

(Pics will follow as soon as possible.)

So i'm looking forward to your help.

Greetings,

Boeba

So here's the design. This is just a photoshop-design. This is not with the correct dimensions or position of the pickup/tremelo.( I just wanted to see what it would look like.)

i73p5s.jpg

Next image is the first draft of my template/plan. After all the reading and stuff i think i understand what the scale length is, and i decided to go with a 24.75. (in Belgium it comes down to 629 mm.)

dnfvb7.jpg

The next image will be a close-up of the floyd-rose bridge, i'm having difficulties locating the right position of the string-contact point . I hope the image will explain.

This is the problem.

I know that you measure the scale length bij looking where the string meets the contact point/saddle of the tremelo. But i'm not quite sure where this point is at this picture below. So i made some different versions so you guys could tell me where the correct position of the bridge needs to be.

I made 4 versions......A-B-C-D, but please say if it has to be a position that isn't on the picture.

Thanks in advance.

97itz9.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/97itz9.jpg

Hi guys,

Thanks for the support.

So i made a new image, again concerning the floyd-rose.

wgri3o.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/wgri3o.jpg

I just need to know wich point is the correct contact point.....1 or 2?

I looked at my own Jackson and i'm having doubts between point 1 or 2.

(i hope you don't mind i'm asking a lot of questions, i just want to be exactly sure.)

Thanks in advance,

Boeba

Definitely "1".

To clarify positioning (although previously described):

Each of the saddles can be moved backwards and forwards to allow for intonation of each string. The bridge should be positioned so that the "end" of the scale length coincides with the position where the saddle's break point is at their furthest forward point (left in the picture above).

Intonation adjustment compensates by *lengthening* a string slightly. Primarily this counteracts the deflection and stretching that happens when we fret the string out of its relaxed straight state. Fretting sharpens a string's pitch marginally therefore intonation needs to flatten it to compensate. You can see from this that you would never really need to do the opposite, so designing the bridge position in with the maximum range of compensation makes more sense.

Does this clarify?

Definitely fine. If you consider that the Ibanez Voyager was set right at the back in a cutout the only danger is the wood blowing out if you try to cut too much at once. Structurally there isn't even a need for that small piece of wood to be at the back other than to prevent you breaking all the strings on a mad trem pull up....

6768827235_596890ce45.jpg

Thanks Unrealize,

I took another look at the headstock because i felt it wasn't exactly what i wanted.

So i did some adjustments, and i like it alot more than before.

Next is an image cut up to the size of 7x A4- pages. I also added some allignment markers to stitch the pages together once they are printed.

172sdv.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/172sdv.jpg