Staining

fritzy

Hi, I have just finished a bass and stained it using tea. It was bit of an experiment as tea was used a long time ago. Does anyone know if it fades etc over time? I will put up photos soon. Oh it has been laquered usung automotive laquer.

I never liked tea really whilst in the UK. It wasn't a tipple of choice....I have grown to like nice black teas like Lapsang Souchong and Jin Chun Mei but really teas are Nina's business more than mine. Give me a nice Irish Coffee.

If I am right in thinking, the major ingredient in tea that will stain the wood is the tannin? Taking a really tannic red wine and brewing up a load of dark tea for a long time might make an interesting experiment if fading is not too much of an issue. I know that various relicing connoisseurs like using overbrewed tea to artificially age or dirty certain components.

Interesting idea Fritzy. Do you have any clear closeup shots of the wood? I'd like to see the effect of the tea in greater detail.

Here you go.th_IMG_0268_zps607be8dd.jpg and th_IMG_0267_zps8aedd86a.jpg

I hope these are ok. I think it is the tannin. I also tried black coffee as a stain too. this gave a more universal covering with less definition of the grain. I was looking up inks for calligraphy and saw tea and coffee used so tried them out. Test pieces I have are around 3 years old with no fading at all. they have been laquered. There are higher resolution photos on photobucket. Look at fritzy30 to see them. I can email some if not.

Cheers

The tea as you apply it brings out the grain but dulls and fades as it dries. The more coats you apply brings more of the the grain out. After 6 or 7 coats you can see the effect you will get when the laquer is applied. The laquer gives you the wet stain look. I will start an off cut and photogaraph it as I go. Now to find some offcuts.