Building A Guitar

sup guys sorry if this is in the wrong section ...

i want to build a guitar for the first time i have a band saw and a drill press and other things to do it i did the research lol

but i was wondering where could i get the wood for the body ? I want to order it online :)

hope someone can help me out thanks

Hi System 51 and welcome to the forum.

This forum is pretty high standard in comparison to a lot of other forums. We generally expect that there is a minimum of searching and googling done before questions are asked. This link will give you the top 3-4 sellers of guitar wood online. You can also check out the supply section of this forum. Do that and you will get so much more respect from the members of this board. If you come well prepared you will find that we are generally very helpful and nice. Come without doing the homework, using infant online language and you will not be greeted too nice. Using no points or commas also makes the text extremely hard do read, and will not make the most experienced guys here very eager to chip in and help

Oh, and BTW, Our Souls advice is very good. Practice on "scrap" or low grade wood before committing yourself to costly "tone wood"

Just to fill in the gaps on some of the advice here, "scrap wood" could be Poplar bought from Home Depot. It's relatively inexpensive, and it gets you familiar with working with hardwood. Alternatively, you can buy relatively cheap maple of eBay or at a local lumber mill. Good luck, and read, read, read! Read these In Progress builds from start to finish and understand every step.

Just to fill in the gaps on some of the advice here, "scrap wood" could be Poplar bought from Home Depot. It's relatively inexpensive, and it gets you familiar with working with hardwood. Alternatively, you can buy relatively cheap maple of eBay or at a local lumber mill. Good luck, and read, read, read! Read these In Progress builds from start to finish and understand every step.

You beat me too it. I was going to suggest getting some 2x4's from Home Depot to practice glueing and shaping bodies with or get some basswood or birch.

System51 you do have a lot more reading too do and you never can say you did the research since there's always something you will learn with guitar building (just a heads up :peace ), even our most experienced luthiers on this board still are coming up with new ways of doing things. I'd suggest doing some searches on this forum in the solid body section and in the in progress section. Look at builds from RestorationAD, Our Souls, and SwedishLuthier. If you are interested in acoustic building I have a couple going (links in my signature) and there are some archtop threads going on currently as well.

If you look on the main PG website there are tutorials for basic building there, they helped me out a bit before I started but in reality you should practice on scrap before building. It's nice to think that you are good to go because you read a few threads online but then when you start you learn it's not quite like that so practice making a few bodies and necks on 2x4's or something and then spend some good money on some good wood.

Sorry if I come across as a bit blunt but as SwedishLuthier said you will not make many friends on any forum asking questions without much research. Come up with ideas or questions about building and if you can't find them post them here and we will be more than happy to help.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Carvin,Stewmac,etc have properly dried blanks.After some research and experience through trial and error you can get wood much cheaper in other places,but you have to know how to spot what you want...

I buy most of my wood on Ebay or through members here.The main site has a ton of supply places listed..so yeah

Look around for lumber yards in your area. Many places sell woods like maple and mahogany for a lot less than what guitar companies call "guitar wood" where I live it costs me about $25 for an 8 foot board of mahogany that 8/4 lumber and I can get either 4 acoustic necks out of it or two electric bodies.