Robbins Guitars Thread

Not quite close to the tight radii of non-Florentine lower cutaways; do you feel these are an achievable target with what you've discovered? Given that the fibres of Bloodwood and other similar woods are short and cross-linked, there is less opportunity for them to dislodge with heat so it's a challenge.

Another reason why I love Florentines aside from personal aesthetics. :-D

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm quite confident that I will be able to get the wood the conform to the shape I'm after. Some of the curves were tighter right after I made them, but as I didn't care about the spring back so I let them expand a bit as I was busy moving along. However at least one curve (the second from left) is more or less spot on for my design. So I'm going to bend the waist and lower bound on the fox bender, then do the first, tighter curve on the bending iron, clamp it in the mould and let it cool and fixate and then do the last part. This is looking good right now.

• 2 weeks later...

The detailing is a-ma-zing. I really love all laminations and stuff. It is really world class. Truly inspirational.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the feed back guys! I'm working late nights and even though I could probably get this thing done in a matter of hours, sleep keeps winning that battle. Here are the last few pics before final assembly!

The sound port door with freshly sprayed finish. Still gotta wet sand and buff

4FC13AB4-CC76-46B5-B656-C5E26A2C83CC_zps

Finalized bridge and glue up

2311F899-58C8-4263-B75A-9874D8626970_zps

A1D531A9-3F07-41C8-96A8-1E92137D82A0_zps

I was torn between black or chrome tuners for this build and while I like the picture I took of the chrome ones better, the black ones look much better in person. I like the stealthy look that doesn't distract for the peghead inlay.

B6025A64-7BF3-4803-82C7-4B98CA1BBC99_zps

85A06407-9ADB-4C97-BDE5-2BF32BE925F7_zps

Classy stuff. Is the bridge a bit off-set in shape or is it just the photo?

Yes the bridge is asymmetrical on purpose :)

Me like!

• 1 month later...

So the bloodwood acoustic had been wrapped up by the end of August just in time for the Northwoods seminar at Galloup guitars. This is a 4 day seminar where the best of the best get together to learn, to teach, and to catch up on what everyone is doing. It is held once a year and is really something special. I was able to hand my guitar off to names such as Charles Fox, Tom Ribbecke, Michi Matsuda, Dan Erlewine, and TJ Thompson to have them critique my work. It was very exciting and they all had good things to say about not only the aesthetics but the sound it produced. I was also able to listen to a truly talented fingerstyle player take it for a spin and that just blew my mind. A video was taken of the player, Kinloch Nelson, trying it out but it was unfortunately lost in the thousands of photos the photographer was taking of the event (heartbreaking). I'm still hoping it pops up one day but it seems unlikely at this point. Here is link to the seminars face book page if anyone would like to know more about what takes place. 

https://www.facebook.com/NorthwoodsSeminar?fref=ts

Here is my buddy and fellow apprentice, Matt, trying out the newly completed build

0ED28FCE-0E17-4019-95C0-45D84DADA09B_zps

The positive feed back has only made me more motivated to continue building and I am well into my second acoustic which is a Hickory L00! This build includes a sapwood hickory back and laminated sides with a sitka spruce top, mohogany neck, ebony fingerboard and binding, and some more of that specially made wood for rosette and peghead adornments!

5F3FDB72-8460-43B4-896C-1BD65E2D77BA_zps

0FB524AD-9B9E-46EB-81B4-8CB1FF86791D_zps

7ED6A643-EF9B-48C1-846C-F80A9A220870_zps

E8059DDB-6865-433A-B314-7BE678FDBD93_zps

0F6CDF6B-C11E-48E8-B81C-C0F754A2A182_zps

BF28402C-9C62-41C0-935E-EF91193B9A92_zps

DC99E92D-E1D6-475D-A34D-416BE6A528F0_zps

• Like 2

I was thinking it was likely alumilite casting resins?

But my god, can this thread continue getting any hotter?!

Chris

That sounds likely. Still benefits from degassing or a slow secondary pour. I need to buy some Europium-based powder soon for a job. Hmm.

Shame the company I worked at for 15 years closed. We recycled Yttrium and Europium. Looking forward to more of your builds.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...