Want A Good, Solid, Cost Effective Band Saw, Advice Welcome

bob123

So I will chime in here. I have been using a GO555 with riser for almost 10years now. It will do anything that a luthier needs. It does have it's quirks as do all brands. First, use good quality blades, don't skimp on these. Woodslicers, or Timber wolfs seem to work best. Also do not use large blades 3/4" for resawing. The tensioners on most 14" saws just cannot get the blade tight enough to keep from drifting. This problem also comes from the wheels crown. I use 1/4" timber wolf 3 or 4 TPI to resaw with very good results. I can Resaw 12" maple and get 1/16" slices repeatably. I also use 1/4"-12 TPI for resaws with good results and requires less cleanup when bookmatching. Set up is the key to making a Band Saw work. It takes time and patience to dial one in, but once there and you know your machine, it is a dream to use.

Just my 0.02 cents worth.

MK

• Like 1

Any saw will do as long as it's rigid enough and has enough power. Can't comment on new stuff - I purchased an old (1983 vintage) Italian saw a few years back, 400mm wheels (15", ish) with a hair under 9" of resaw capacity (could up to 9.5 if I changed out the stock upper guide assembly for cool blocks or similar). Motor is slightly on the low side for power (about 2 HP).

MK is right, though, use good blades. I will say that woodslicer/timberwolf blades work well, but have almost no blade life in tough woods. I have a few, and I save them for stuff where I need maximum yield and don't mind chucking the blade after resawing a few billets. Lennox carbide tipped blades are likely the ideal, although the smaller saws can't tension things like the 1" WoodMaster CT, which is a fantastic blade at a great price point. The Lennox TriMaster is available in thinner width but runs me about 180 dollars for the 12 foot blade I require.

FWIW, I resaw using either the 1/2" trimaster (which broke in transit during my last move, sadly, need to see if its worth re-welding) or my Woodmaster CT (1" blade). Wider is easier for resaw, 1/4" is a good general purpose blade. Cuts off the lennox carbide blades can be clean enough to only require one or two very light passes through the thickenss sander for cleanup.

• 2 months later...

Mikro, thanks for the advice on the blade size for re-sawing. I don't do a lot of it, but when I first got mine, I cut a piece of mahogany about 5 inches high with a 1/4" blade and it came out just about perfect.

Here is a good way to buy one - have a wife with a craft business who met a guy who said he had a bunch of wood for sale as he was leaving the woodworking business. When I went to see it, he had a JET 14" with the riser for $175. I had a Craftsman Professional 14" before and there is no comparison.

• 1 month later...

FWIW, I did a little looking around and bought the Grizzly G0555LX (same as the anniversay edition noted above but without the black paint job - DOH!) some time back and am just setting it up now as I fit out my garage shop. I wasn't sure about the viability of the riser block but after comments on this thread I will order it so I can incorporate it into the set up process. Also, thanks on the blade use info. Very helpful for a relatively inexperienced bandsaw user.

BTW, I visited the Grizzly store in Springfield MO a couple of times when my son was up there a few years ago. Freaking awesome is all I can say. Massive.