Not Your Momma's Strat......

Before pore filling I checked the clearance on my switch. I just barely cleared, but I didn't want it to touch the shielding paint so I carved a little more space. I did sand it smoother.......

IMG_2798.JPG

Speaking of shielding paint, I noticed the bottom of my can looked kind of corroded. When I opened I saw that the everything that was left, half a can, had kicked over and cured. I had to go order some more. :angry:

My pore filling test worked, but I decided Brett's advice was good too. So I thinned down some lacquer and coated everything with that first. Then I rubbed in blonde shellac after a couple of coats I lightly sanded with 400.

IMG_2800.JPG

Then I rubbed in denatured alcohol and more shellac right into the sanding dust which was, after all, shellac dust. I basically worked like a French polish without the mineral oil. Ocaisionally I'd sand with alcohol and fill with the resulting paste like you do with Tru-oil.

IMG_2801.JPG

IMG_2802.JPG

Worked like a charm.

SR

work

• Like 1

Nice. Looks like it is going to go well.

Remember first coat or two need to be thin. Then don't get greedy. I make myself leave the shop and close the door so I don't try to shoot another coat.

Can't wait to see this one finished.

That sounds like a good plan. Once the dust coat and a couple of thin ones are on, I typically shoot three coats a day, for a number of days, untill I'm satisfied I've got enough. I'm paranoid about cutting through edges, so I tend to go overly thick and worry less when levelling.

I have been guilty of making my coats too thick........

I've got a bunch of tree trimming and other chores that have been put off while I've been building. My plan is to shoot and then go catch up on chores.

Woohoo ^_^

SR

Paulie, you're going to have to make a quarter scale Sponge Bob git for Baby Mac before long. Should be easy to take a Bo Diddly, paint it yellow and add some eyes and goofy teeth.......

SR

HA HA HA COOL

Im gona have to get a friend of mine to drop the V's I made him a while back in for some piks. One of them is a sponge bob guitar, mad lookin thing :D

Why, thank you Muzz. What you been up to? You've been kind of scarce lately.

SR

Mate, I have been so busy, flat out like a lizard drinking. I moved house and I am down to my last two boxes to unpack. And I left the pop/rock band I have been with for a few years and joined an old school style heavy rock/metal band. I am loving it, playing music from Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Motorhead, Metallica, AC/DC, Guns n' Roses. Looking forward to seeing more pics of your build :)

• Like 1

Moving house is such a pain. Well actually, it's often great to live in a new place, it's the actual act of getting there that sucks. We last did it 6 years ago and still have boxes that are not unpacked. 'Course they are the wife's boxes, so there's not much I'm going to do to change that. The new band sounds very cool. Rock on! :guitarist:

SR

And so it begins........

IMG_2809.JPG

IMG_2811.JPG

There happens to be a fluorescent fixture directly above this, so the colors are a bit greenish.

IMG_2815.JPG

IMG_2817.JPG

After about three and a half months of putting in sixteen hours a weekend, it feels really strange to only have an hour and half's worth of work. I feel like something's missing......

SR

• Like 2

Looking great. Where's its new home going to be?

Right next to the red F-hole and the brown P-90'd single cut. In front of the Cat5.

I suppose I should try selling another one some time. After spending all this time creating one, you rather get attached to them don't you?

I gave my son my first one. If he develops a desire to keep playing and learns what he likes and dislikes about that one, I'll build him a new one. They really are much better now.

Maybe when I run out of new ideas and start repeating myself, they'll be easier to try to sell.

SR