Custom Builds?

So far I've only been full custom and then I've had a bit of influence on the specs adding my 2c, however I'm really wanting to get away from that.

I want to have a handful of models with variables and the customer can tick a few boxes and there's the build sheet. That's what I want to work towards, I just need the time to build dozens of guitars do I can work out what options I want to make available!

Are you saying you reducing your output from 10-16 guitars a year to only 3 customs a year? Or are you adding 3 customs to your load of 10-16/year?

I'm so confused :blink:

I could have sworn you were saying customs were to be avoided.......unless they are from your repeat customers.

SR

I shouldn't have used the word "custom" and should have said you pick your top.

Scott. I will be clear I am all out against full customs not based on a model I have done before. I won't even bother with them. There are guys way better at that than I am.

I am cutting my load to 5 - 10 guitars a year. 3 of which will be what I call custom but you guys would call "letting the customer influence one design aspect". Allen wants check boxes. I just have a few check boxes... Usually for me the best way to do a custom S9 is let the client pick one thing they want and give them some options to go with it.

For me guitars that have no customer influence are my favorite. I like grabbing wood off the shelf and building things without having to answer email.

If I get someone who has a good idea, understands that it might not work as envisioned, is open to letting me make it work the way I need to, and is willing to pay what I decide it will cost, then sure, I'm game. I have built some really cool stuff I might otherwise have not thought of this way.

But for every one of those customers, there seem to be a dozen that fall far short of that.

Then there is the fact that I just don't like dealing with other humans very much.

Not much of a business asset, I admit; but it's the way I am.

I have plenty of my own ideas that I want to work on right now, and have gotten tired of putting them off.

I've gotten pretty good at identifying those "one-in-a-dozen" customers, and am learning how to say no to the others.

• Like 1

It surprises me you guys feel this way. I want more client interaction. More design input. Hell I had a guy say ONE word to me today that set my mind racing on a killer custom idea that will be great fun to build.

Perry don't be surprised. You are full time. You are one of (if not)the top Luthiers in your country and can afford to suffer the ideas of the disillusioned. If I was full time I would probably (need to) be more on your wavelength and take on whatever comes my way. However since I can afford to wear my ideals on my sleeve I can afford to turn down things that do not interest me.

I like interacting with good customers that truly see what I see. Like Orgmorg said for every good customer there are ten guys I won't build their guitar because they are confused on what I do.

That is just my point of view (<--fates warning reference). Narrow as it may be.

Cheers! \m/

The respect for Carl is partly down to how you're buying a piece of art from whatever takes his fantasy that week. You just get to put in some design specs and hopefully you get them. Nobody buys from Carl without knowing what to expect. That's just his unique working ethos. All pro luthiers will have one. If you don't know it before you go through the door or are not open to working with it, you're going to have a bad time.