Guitar Of The Month For July

The Project Guitar.com "Guitar of the Month" contest is a showcase for all the members, so show us your axe in this thread!
This contest is open to any and all members that enter and will be continued each month for a place showing your creation on the homepage!
The winner(s) of course will have his/her guitar featured on the homepage of Project Guitar.com and if you have a website the picture will link directly to it if you so choose (even commercial site's).
If your a forum member you will also be upgraded with a special badge to show you won!
So show us your creation in this thread! You've got till sometime around the 23rd or 24th of June then this thread gets locked and the voting starts!
Any Post that is not an entry will be deleted, feel free to start a new thread to discuss any guitar entered this month
There may be more then one poll to determine winners in different catagorys at the end of this contest!
Please post a maximum of your 4 best pictures per guitar entered
Make sure Your Guitar has a Name or Nick Name as well otherwise one will be given to it :)
Side note, if you are unable to post a picture you can e-mail one to Brian and it will be posted for you, or ask forum members how to post pictures, they are very helpful.

Clancy's Star - Neckthru 6

Built for the guitarist of:
https://www.facebook.com/impactdriverballarat

THERE ARE 47 PIECES OF TIMBER IN THIS GUITAR!

Neck, fingerboard & headstock - Wenge, Maple & Padauk laminations
Body - Padauk top on African Mahogany with Maple stringers

Kahler trem (NOS blue annodised from the 1980's) with spurzel locking tuners
Tusq nut
Carbon fiber output jack plate
Blue plastic cavity covers and binding
Glow in the dark side dots
Bareknuckle Aftermath set - burned chrome covers mounted over red LED's
Kill switch (arcade button) with blue LED
Coil split, phase switches and 3 way pickup selector
24 frets - Dunlop 6150
25.5" scale
16" radius
Finish is West Systems epoxy as grain filler and sealer, then UPOL 2k clear coat - fingerboard finished the same as body.
Build pics here:
263224_463237747091398_219044098_n.jpg
252330_463237573758082_1989806584_n.jpg
581797_463237603758079_1643362048_n.jpg
485435_463237760424730_1393520078_n.jpg
  • Like 1

Posted for forum member Texxlakota:

1.JPG

This is a hand-built custom made, one of a kind, strat-style guitar.

2.JPG

The body has zebra wood inlays, component,and tremelo covers. The neck is maple, on maple, with black dot inlays. All components are black. It has fender pickups and switches, mexican strat-style tremelo, Wilkinson style black tuner knobs, 1 volume and 2 tone dials, 2 single pickups with 1 humbucker, and plays really well. The relic-style body is is stained, instead of painted, to show imperfections, cuts, and dings, in the wood on the back, and near the neck(see pictures). These were added/accented to give the guitar a"well-used" look and in no way take away from the way it plays.

3.JPG

4.JPG

"Grendel"

I bought this top wood a couple years ago and set it aside for a time when I felt the right inspiration for it.

The wood knots act as f-holes would. I stabilized them in a few different ways, most notably by saturating the cracks with thin CA. I was afraid of them spreading, but they're not going anywhere. After two years of being on a shelf and moving to three new studios, they haven't budged.

There are tons of little details throughout the neck and body that aren't in the photos. On the side is a large gap (insect damage, I assume) that I coated with copper dust and gave a deep patina to (sort of a geode look). Some of that copper mesh sits in place of the binding near the neck, as well as pieces of bone in various areas of the binding. There are also a lot of insect holes and subtle rustic details I couldn't get in photos. Even the fretboard has a faint green tinge around the frets to give the impression of old age.

Instead of one big control cavity, I made a separate, small cavity for each pot and the jack. It took a lot more work, but I think it looks much nicer and interesting than a big cavity would have.

The hardware took quite a bit of effort to pull off, especially the bridge. It's well known among metal finishers that aluminum is practically impervious to oxidation and any type of aging or patina. I really wanted to use that bridge, so I put on my wizard hat and my chemist's pants and eventually - after many experiments with various chemicals, processes, and blow torches - managed that aged look and the patina.

The mesh parts are blackened copper.

It sounds beautiful and very appropriate for the aesthetic style. The semi-hollow qualities really shine through, but it still has plenty of punch and even a bit of twang when unplugged. Overall, it has a pretty broad high/low range and a mean woody character. I think it's ideal for the type of dirty blues I meant it for.

The neck is very large, which is my preference. It's more comfortable when playing for long periods and just feels "right" to me. Honestly, I was concerned when the person who bought it was a woman, because I made it for large hands. But, I had my petite 5'2" roommate try it out and she loved how it felt.

Anyhow, here she is. My guitars often cause love-or-hate reactions (which is totally okay with me) and I'm always curious to see which way it goes.

Some specs:

Top: spalted maple

Body: wormy maple, wormy black walnut - semi-hollow

Neck: goncalo alves, ironwood - thick C shape

Fretboard: goncalo alves

Scale length: 24.75"

Fret: 22 - nickel - reliced

Pickups: handwound PAF style humbuckers - copper mesh covers

Controls: blend pickups, master volume, master tone

(all hardware is heavily distressed and aged/blackened)

Bridge: wraparound - aluminum

Tuners: Grover Sta-tites - nickel

Knobs: brass

Nut: bone

link to more pics

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151626960875138.1073741829.183692040137&type=1

photo1mif.jpg
photo2np.jpg
photo3jnj.jpg
photo4vsj.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

7-string Ranger

After some of the guitars entered this month I debated heavily weather or not I even wanted to take the time to enter, but I haven't finished anything new for a bit, so I figured I might as well. This is my first seven string guitar, its made from all domestic wood consisting of a curly quartersawn white oak top and neck, chambered black walnut back, curly black walnut pickup covers bridge base and knobs, and hickory fretboard. Its got dimarzio pickups, hipshot tuners, and switchcraft/cts electronics. This guitar is kinda outside the norm for me as far as style goes, but it was an interesting excursion into the world of extra strings- a good intro for the baritone 8 string hollowbody I'll be starting on soon. Just figured I'd throw it up for kicks.

just to address the inevitable comment ahead of time it is not sitting on the concrete, I just like to concrete as a sort of industrial backdrop for some guitars, rest assured it is resting safely upon cork pads.

8991003623_dc4be7e36d_z.jpg

NMVDI003 - "Brietta"

Woods:

Curly Maple top

Chambered Alder body

Mahogany Neck

Ebony fretboard

I found this wood combination to be the perfect blend of the Warm/lows, mids, and high.

This beauty has a green stained carved top to pop the figure and an all black painted back and neck. The binding is a natural maple binding from the top. Has a compound radius 14.5" to 10" at a 25.5 scale length.

The Frets are scalloped from the 12th fret and up. At the 12th fret there is a small slight scallop that gradually increases the higher you go up on the neck. It increases until it reaches the last 4 frets where is has a Ibanez Jem style full scallops.

-Bone nut.

-Planet Waves Lock/Trim Tuners.

-Gold Hardware

-Abalone knobs

-Bare Knuckle Aftermath pickups

DSC00327.jpg

DSC00324.jpg

(will try to edit and add two outside Pictures by tomorrow or thread closing.)

Thanks for looking!

Here is my first step into the world of guitar building, thanks for checking it out!

Done with a dremel, a hand drill (in a drill stand) + a robosander and some hand tools. (ok, a drill press was used to do the volume knob in the end)

"Nylon One"

a nylon string solidbody

specs:

mahogany body with imbuia burl top (and maple veneer accent line)

matching volume knob

wenge-flame maple-bubinga 5pc neck

ebony fretboard

graphtech ghost piezo pickups (and acousti-phonic preamp)

jin-ho tuners

graphtech classical nut (41,5mm string spacing)

648mm scale, flat fingerboard radius

jescar EVO gold fretwire

finish: rusting plastic coat (brushed) and danish oil

pictures:

913769_10200551308657685_1090318730_o.jp

964622_10200553113342801_2084965014_o.jp

1014722_10200732271501643_1010812846_o.j

964926_10200550502917542_42869324_o.jpg?

Build thread: http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/topic/46785-first-build-a-nylon-string-superstrat/

Sound demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB_CvgFF8N0

thanks again!

The Hawk

Well, this looks like it is shaping up to be quite a month, so I will go ahead and add my latest, as it is also one of the coolest I have done so far.

DSCN7628a.jpg

This was a custom commission for one of my favorite customers, who asked for a mutation of the classic Gibson Firebird, giving me free rein to do as I please with the details, which partly accounts for his favored status.
DSCN7631.jpg
The body is composed of a salvaged poplar center block, with wings made from spalted sycamore, capped with salvaged elm barnwood. I kept the curves of the original Firebird body shape, but mixed them up, placing both long points on the top, and scaling them all appropriately. This not only gives better upper fret access, but places the front strap button further toward the center of the guitar for better balance. The original Gibson design was by Ray Dietrich, who was an automobile designer by trade, and evidently not a guitarist.
The neck is red maple, with a persimmon fretboard and tortoise celluloid binding.
DSCN7655.jpg
The central feature here is a hood emblem from an early ’60′s Studebaker Hawk, a tip of the hat to the automotive roots of the design, from the same era as the Firebird. The art deco styling of this piece was partly the inspiration for the brass, aluminum and copper pickguard/grille and center overlay.
The pickups are my own homespun versions of the Firebird mini-humbuckers, with alnico 5 bar magnets in the coils, and aluminum housings I designed, and had fabricated by eMachineShop.
Tuners are Sperzel locking.

DSCN7662.jpg

More pictures~

Back

Headstock

Back of headstock

Pickguard detail

• Like 1