Wood Supplier For Neck Thru Build

As I wrap up my latest build I was thinking of going neck thru on my next guitar. Not sure if I am gonna go Flying V, prs style or super strat. I was wondering where you all get your wood from. Most places online only list wood for bolt on or set neck, lmii.com is the only one I have found so far. I haven't called any suppliers yet. I was hoping you can point me in the right direction.

That's an excellent question. I used to wonder a lot about species. A good place to start is here:

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/NeckWoodsPop.aspx

Anything Warmoth uses is probably gonna be ok. But then you have to pick the right piece. The trick is to get something with straight grain and no defects. Even a small knot can ruin a neck. You have to look carefully. Ideally you want something quartersawn or flatsawn. If you don't know what those terms are, Google them. In short, you want the end grain to be as close to perfectly vertical (quartersawn) or horizontal (flatsawn) as possible. If you find a piece of wood that really, really great, but it's slightly riftsawn, you can always rip it down the middle, flip it over, and glue it back together, so you have the endgrain in a \\\V/// pattern.

If you can find something the right size and shape, you might be able to get something as exotic as an East Indian Rosewood neck blank for around $20. Domestics will, of course, be cheaper.

Buy 4/4 flatsawn wood in the right length and laminate it up as per dpm99 said. Or if you can find nice 8/4 perfectly quartersawn (sapele is a good bet there) you can use that. But yes, if laminating and not using perfectly quartered, or perfectly flat (turned on edge and laminated) you should oppose the grain so stresses cancel out.

Chris

Point taken. That's a pretty great piece of wood. I was just pointing out that you're never going to see perfectly straight lines either on the end grain or along the length of the board. It's turned into a pretty nice neck too. Almost done.