Mux Guitars Consolidated Shop Happenings Thread

Disaster has struck yesterday. This guitar and a couple other received their FINAL COATS yesterday. They were hanging like they have for months, the way I have for years, the way even PRS hangs for finishing... But yesterday was not this guitars lucky day. Fell a good ways right onto the headstock tip; CF rods wouldn't allow it to split like an LP does, but there was so much force it just took what it could:
8835EE59-7303-429F-A172-AEBFE572BD9D_zps
This guitar proves there is such thing as a cursed instrument though! One headstock warped when the veneer was added making that neck scrap. Then an errant plane chip ruined the first fretboard. Finally got it done and was spraying it last year... Forgot I had just done some fret level work on it earlier and sprayed a ton of metal into the finish. Stripped it, sprayed it again this year... Now this. RIP.
D6401ACB-17F1-4670-9FD0-B2F5B60A53F7_zps
Chris

Disaster has struck yesterday. This guitar and a couple other received their FINAL COATS yesterday. They were hanging like they have for months, the way I have for years, the way even PRS hangs for finishing... But yesterday was not this guitars lucky day. Fell a good ways right onto the headstock tip; CF rods wouldn't allow it to split like an LP does, but there was so much force it just took what it could:

8835EE59-7303-429F-A172-AEBFE572BD9D_zps

That looks like a clean break with no splintering, my friend had a similar break in his Les Paul neck and it was expertly fixed, are you going to have a go at rescuing it?

With not much body damage I'll likely just build a neck with a 1/32" wider end, it'll fully route out the old one. Maybe do it in something that wants oil instead of lacquer... that way if everything routes clean I just drop and glue the new neck in, oil it, and be done.

Sounds easy hahaha.

Chris

Disaster has struck yesterday

Wow, I'd say. That's a bummer for sure. I know the feeling. It's sort of like being a human lightning rod. I've got a guitar that I started about three years ago. I'm convinced it was cursed as well. I finally tired of fighting the demons, and set it aside. I could finish it easy enough as I've fixed the problems, but I'd rather work on other things.