oh crap!

Snork

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im going to probably add a veneer because i need to glue "wings to the headstock" oh poo

You lost me there Snork :D

Is your headstock not one solid piece of wood?? If you are going to glue wings on it like a body on a neck through I think you may be asking for trouble. IMO you're going to lose strength and risk "flying parts" when you put tension on the strings and tuning machines. Won't your glued on wings just let loose and you'll end up with tuners in your face (literally!) B)

Or maybe I read that wrong, or maybe I'm just a moron...... :D

i am sorry but how many times does it need to be repeated...a glued joint is stronger than the wood.the headstock wings would NEVER pop lose if correctly glued with titebond or similar glue.will not happen.if that was true every set neck in the world would be seperating and falling apart on stage.

get over the fear of glue joints.make a proper fit,clean it,let it dry,and glue and clamp it for 24 hours.

Guest AlexVDL

well that doesn't count for a bad joint where's lots of glue involved...

the secret is that both surfaces of the pieces of wood should be 100% perfectly flat, then apply glue and clamp it very tight.... this way almost all of the glue will come out... the less glue (tighter fit) the stronger the joint.

If there's lots of glue the chance is the thick layer of glue will break... but even a bad glue joint should be stronger than wood :D

westhemann Posted on Jan 17 2004, 09:02 PM

i am sorry but how many times does it need to be repeated...a glued joint is stronger than the wood.the headstock wings would NEVER pop lose if correctly glued with titebond or similar glue.will not happen.if that was true every set neck in the world would be seperating and falling apart on stage.

get over the fear of glue joints.make a proper fit,clean it,let it dry,and glue and clamp it for 24 hours.

I'm not arguing that fact as long as the joint is applied in the proper place and properly done. Is gluing a 1/2" x 5" piece of wood flush (90 deg joint, no biscuit or reinforcement) on the headstock where there is a lot of constant tension the proper place? I wouldn't do it, but that's me.

A set neck has much more surface area for a joint as well as a scarf joint in a neck. I've seen several necks broken but never one broken at the glue joint demonstrating clearly the glue joint is stronger like you said Wes. BUT, that is a glue joint being used in a proper application.

We can argue this headstock thing for days but it won't change my mind. I would never put wings on a headstock then place the tuners on the wing. To me it's a problem waiting to happen. But, that's my opinion.....like the saying goes, we all have opinions and they all stink to someone else. :D

agreed,but it is a fact that the gluejoint is stronger than the wood around it.it wil not break at the glue joint.

i just want people to trust that glue joint like they should

how much pressure is placed on an acoustic bridge?

a heck of alot more than on the headstock wing.and it is,in fact,only glued on

how much pressure is placed on an acoustic bridge?

a heck of alot more than on the headstock wing.and it is,in fact,only glued on

Well Wes, i was going to bamboozle everyone with a bunch of facts about glue strength vs wood grain strength, but i think you effectively KILLED, MAIMED, CHEWED UP, and SPAT OUT any further arguments with your comments.

As for the doubters:

GLUE IS STRONGER THAN THE WOOD ITSELF, PERIOD!

Do you own tests if you dont want to listen to advice. Or, simply dont bother asking the questions any longer.

LMAO i just realized........ MY NECK IS FREAKEN HUGE!! AND SO IS MY FRETBOARD!!!! OMG!!!!!!!

Perhaps I'm being naive, but if your neck is so big, could you use it for a bass neck?

I'm new to building, so I don't know if the radius or fret spacings etc. would be screwed up, but it's just a thought.

Another possibility is that I should be slapped very hard and cussed out for being a blatant fool.

skibum5545