Hello all,

I'm Ken from Angeltone Custom Pickups.

I found out about this place in a thread over at music-electronics-forum.com.

I have been making guitar pickups for over eight years, but it was a dream of mine to make my own guitars. I have made a few bodies, and right now I'm trying to learn how to make my own necks.

Here are two of my own creations.

Thank you,

ken

my2.JPG

• Like 1

I would hazard a guess that you are quite the Fender enthusiast and the necks you hope to build might be along those lines? I'm making the transition from my "modern" habits in neck-making and applying that across to Fender-style construction for a couple of builds in that vein. Are you building for yourself or are you diversifying what you do as Angeltone?

Welcome onboard!

Hey Ken!

Peter (Swedish Luthier) and I invited Ken over to come help us with pickup questions and help him with building questions.

I am a big fan of the spalted tele with the P90s. I happen to have built one not to long ago.

Let us know what style necks you would like to build and we will help were we can. I would start in the Tutorial section and dig through the In Progress for some of the build threads that are more detailed.

I don't build traditional Strat or Telecaster style necks but I do cover neck building in most of my threads.

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/topic/46237-project-s907-express

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/topic/43343-project-open-telecaster

Of course I cheat in this thread

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/topic/46766-project-horseman

Welcome Ken.

Welcome Ken.

It will be great to have another experienced pick-up builder on board. Peter and Brett are very helpful with our pick-up questions, but the more experience we have chiming in the more the rest of us stand to learn. :)

Looking forward to seeing and hearing more from you. Oh and neck building is fun. You're going to wonder what took you so long to take the plunge.

SR

• Like 1

Hello all,

Thank you for the welcome. :)

I would hazard a guess that you are quite the Fender enthusiast and the necks you hope to build might be along those lines? I'm making the transition from my "modern" habits in neck-making and applying that across to Fender-style construction for a couple of builds in that vein. Are you building for yourself or are you diversifying what you do as Angeltone?

It was my dream since I was 13 years old to make and play my own guitar, so I started doing it a couple of years ago.

No, I'm not planning on selling guitars.

I do like Fenders since it's what I grew up on, but I do own Gibsons too and I'm hoping to learn more about making guitars,

whether set neck, neck thru or bolt on.

About the guitars... I can't take credit for the pickguard on the green guitar. It was made by my friends at Gilroy Guitars

from Canberra, Australia. However, I did make the spalted maple topped Tele. It's actually chambered with a solid center like an ES-335. It also has a relieved neck heel and no control cover plates.

ken

Hi Ken and welcome.

Best way of getting you on track in regards of neck building is probably, after the nice introduction, to start posting questions in the "solid body guitar and bass" section. Maybe show us what you want to achieve and the general questions. The rest will come naturally.

It was my dream since I was 13 years old to make and play my own guitar, so I started doing it a couple of years ago.

No, I'm not planning on selling guitars.

I do like Fenders since it's what I grew up on, but I do own Gibsons too and I'm hoping to learn more about making guitars,

whether set neck, neck thru or bolt on.

It's a good dream, that's for sure. My reason for the curiosity is to figure out what you want to do, you see. I have a one-year plan culminating in "a thing" next summer, part of which involves a lot of building. That's the fun part. I kind of figured you might go straight for a Fender-type build and that is what hooked me.

Up until now I have only built one "Fender-style" neck and even then it had pretty modern aspects to it. One of my objectives is to build a couple of instruments with unashamedly Fender genetics to the casual observer but to instil aspects which I believe have improved these old designs since their inception. My only clue here is "20515" which is suitably opaque so as not to give my game away.

I'll certainly be onboard when you start your own work too whether you go the Fender route or something else entirely. The great thing is seeing what people bring of themselves to the table, especially when they are already experienced in some aspect. Always something new to see and new to learn.

• Like 1

My only clue here is "20515" which is suitably opaque so as not to give my game away.

Phfff, c'mon carl that's tooo easy, its going to be a 20.515" scale YJM custom strat clone. Next question please...

Welcome ken, I am pretty new here too. Hoping you might offer some advice about putting a humbucker in the bridge position of a strat. I am currently building a chambered mahogany strat with a maple set neck. I would like this thing to sound a little growlier than a typical strat. I am not very knowledgable about electronics, what to look for regarding output relationships etc. any help would be appreciated.

Welcome ken, I am pretty new here too. Hoping you might offer some advice about putting a humbucker in the bridge position of a strat. I am currently building a chambered mahogany strat with a maple set neck. I would like this thing to sound a little growlier than a typical strat. I am not very knowledgable about electronics, what to look for regarding output relationships etc. any help would be appreciated.

You may have to flip the magnet on the humbucker to make it work with your single coils, depending on their polarity. Otherwise, if you use the fourth pickup switch position (middle and lead) it may phase and sound thin. The real problem you're goung to have is the volume pot value - the 250K pot you use with single coils will make your humbucker sound dark, while the 500K pot the humbucker wants will make your singlecoils sound bright. Your call. Either way, the mahogany/maple body construction will give you a bright sounding guitar anyway.

Do you want my address .....I am willing to try out and review say five or six of your pickup .....I could use a couple of p-90's ,a couple of archtop pickups and then just suprise me ( free of course ) ahahaha hope you enjoy it here.

I'd like to review your guitars too... why don't you send me a couple of archtops and maybe a LP jr. or two?

ken

There's your mistake, right there. Whenever you ask for "one or two" you will get the least. Just plain ask for two and make it an imperative statement instead of a question. Let me fix that for you:

I will to review your guitars too ... send me a couple of archtops and two LP JRs.

<_<

What does this mean? I tried to like Prostheta's post, but I was denied. I got this instead...

An error occurred

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

Also, how do you access the edit function for your posts in case you make a mistake?

Membership permissions are all based on ranking which is in turn based on user posts. Established members get more "likes" in order to reduce the possibility of members registering shell accounts to bump their own reputation, etc. It is not fully implemented on here yet so we don't take full advantage of these systems however I set up user rankings for future expansion. I'll go manually make you a reg.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys,

Another Noob.

I've just completed a DIY strat kit, and am in the home stretch, just setup issues at the moment.

Discovering the amount of different tools that are available for every job. However the small shed I have is taken up with brewing equipment I've acquired over the years. (being here reminds me of joining brewing forums as a Kit-n-kilo guy & seeing the all grain recipes).

Looking at all the amazing guitars & basses being made here blows my mind. I'll happily share my strat pics once I build up more of a post count. (but it's a bit of a half arsed attempt. I'm no perfectionist)

Cheers Pete