Misc. Stuff About Life. - 99,999% Fat Free

I have had some guys working for me before that learned in a class.They were good enough to weld the simple stuff,but the heavy duty full penetration welds with poor fitups were beyond them.At least you get the basics in a class,and then the rest is up to you.

I learned in the field from welders and later on befriended a really knowledgeable welding inspector who was great with making poor fits become good welds...Learned how to fit backing bars to twisted joints,how to prep galvanized moments,and how to handle enough heat to burn in the root pass hot enough to push the slag line away from the weld itself so the ultrasound won't pick it up.

Anyone can weld a perfect joint in perfect position.Filling 3/8" gaps vertically while lying on your belly with your arms over the edge welding towards your face is the stuff that takes talent.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to learn how to use it first. I seriously don't think my welding would hold up to wes's tolerances but hey I get a seven day stretch off every month maybe I could pull some extra money in from texas.

Most expensive truss rod ever?

I have had some guys working for me before that learned in a class.They were good enough to weld the simple stuff,but the heavy duty full penetration welds with poor fitups were beyond them.At least you get the basics in a class,and then the rest is up to you.

I learned in the field from welders and later on befriended a really knowledgeable welding inspector who was great with making poor fits become good welds...Learned how to fit backing bars to twisted joints,how to prep galvanized moments,and how to handle enough heat to burn in the root pass hot enough to push the slag line away from the weld itself so the ultrasound won't pick it up.

Anyone can weld a perfect joint in perfect position.Filling 3/8" gaps vertically while lying on your belly with your arms over the edge welding towards your face is the stuff that takes talent.

I certainly can't argue with any of that, you're definitely a better welder than I am, & we all know that there's no substitute for experience. I just think that a basic course (especially at the dirt cheap cost that you can take one at a community college) gives you a good starting point..

I've had the oportunity to attempt to weld exactly one time in my life.....and I'm impressed that any weld gets started in the right place. I couldn't see through the damn helmet until the sparks started to fly.

Maybe I'm easily impressed.....

SR

Haha! I posted that to my wife's FB a few days back and I think I broke the world in some small way by doing so. It is also worth viewing that video with English subtitles on - you may need to go to the YouTube page itself to do that though.

I've had the oportunity to attempt to weld exactly one time in my life.....and I'm impressed that any weld gets started in the right place. I couldn't see through the damn helmet until the sparks started to fly.

Maybe I'm easily impressed.....

SR

I remember my grandfather making it look easy with one of those old heavy welding hoods I don't think the man could make a ugly weld but then again all he ever did was iron work the first time I tired to weld with a passive hood I realized how impressive he was auto darkening hoods are the best thing ever.

Sorry to hear about your dog Vankirk. That really stinks. Sounds like she was a pretty cool dog.

---

Thanks for the Bday wish Scott. I took the day off with the intention of doing something worth doing on my birthday like golfing or hanging at the beach. Since everyone was working and the day started slipping by I decided to head up to the pub for lunch. I decided to make my lunch a double Johnny Walker and didnt end up leaving till my wife picked me up for dinner at 8:30. From what I'm told dinner was pretty good.

She's mellow.

She may or may not be sleeping in my lap on the Laz-e-boy as I type this. :glare:

My wife is a little bummed since this dog seems to like men more but it will be harder for me to get attached. I miss my dog. Irreplaceable and I'm not ready for a new one. It hasn't even been a week yet. Oh well, it's done and she's nice. I'll get used to her slowly.

My kid had fun throwing a tennis ball to her and she seems to know most of the basic commands so I told her I won't throw her in a burlap sack, tie weights to it and throw it from a moving car into the Puget Sound yet (the dog, NOT my kid). She's approximately 5 years old (The dog not my kid).