Interesting Aniline Dye Reaction

HuntinDoug

I have a current student that is building a UK themed guitar. She wanted white dots with blue paw prints, and a white block on the 12th fret with "wildcats" in dark blue. We decided to use white acrylic etched in the laser. Normally I use epoxy for flood filled areas, but this time I opted to use dyed thin CA glue for the blue areas.

I mixed in LMI brand blue alcohol soluble powdered aniline dye, filled the areas, removed the bubbles, and waited. I'm not a big fan of spray accelerator. When the CA glue flashed over, I noticed it smoked & bubbled up as if I sprayed it with accelerator.

My mad scientist side got the best of me, so I ran a few experiments with varying amounts of dye. I found that if you mix approx. 4 parts (volume) of thin CA with 1 part powdered aniline dye, you get approx. 90 seconds before it fully activates. When it activates, it's slower than when you use a spray. Also, the less dye you add, the more time you have.