Back after a few months' absence, I have been working on various large projects, including guitar repairs and a number of forthcoming commissions.
At the moment, I have one priority build in progress that I picked up a couple of weeks ago after a break from, which is a standard Superstrat carve-top.
I have decided to add an element of curiosity and surprise to my future threads, so don't expect to see the full picture until the guitar is finished.
So, to start us off, here's a run down of what we have achieved so far with build #SG1013...
The body is a two-piece Ash with 17mm thick Flame Maple top:
27_real-close-up2_zps6c8810a0.jpg
The neck is one-piece reclaimed Indian Rosewood with Ebony fretboard and Flame Maple headstock face:
032_head_shape_routed4_zps6e33bfc2.jpg
Custom inlays are a copy of the PRS 513 birds, recesses routed with a 0.8mm Dremel bit:
40-inlay_routs_2_zps287fc3ff.jpg
Paua Abalone inlays glued in and cleaned up:
41-inlays_glued_andcleaned_up_zps5b7becd
Work has started on the body's carve-top - rough contours routed in steps, ready for hand carving. The full carve depth is 9mm, with 8mm depth left in the Flame Maple for faux-binding:
45-carve-top-contours-routed_zpsa1ebbc45
This build will continue shortly with more photos - watch this space!

Nice! Looks like a more extreme ran type carve.

Do you ever have problems wetsanding over top of those curves? Seems like you would burn through in a heart beat!

To be honest, I rarely paint or clearcoat my guitars, preferring oil finishes which don't present so much of a problem when it comes to the sharp edges of the curves.

That's a really nice carve. Can't wait to see some finish on there.

Thanks crazygtr

Nice! Very clean work. Have you ever thought about veneering the back side of the headstock? I love that super clean heel a lot, looks very much like RAN level work.

Thank you bob123

Being a commission build, the client only wanted the headstock face veneered. However, on this occasion, it would be a shame to hide any more of that Rosewood :P

I normally dont like back headstock veneers, but it just seems like it would go well here. The back of my ibanez j custom has a veneer on it, and its very classy for some reason.

Looks great the way it is, just verbalizing a thought.

Nice! Very clean work. Have you ever thought about veneering the back side of the headstock? I love that super clean heel a lot, looks very much like RAN level work.

Thank you bob123

Being a commission build, the client only wanted the headstock face veneered. However, on this occasion, it would be a shame to hide any more of that Rosewood :P