Neck joint crack

Maybe not the neck joint crack you were expecting.

Guitar: Yamaha Pacifica

The pics below are the small piece of the body between the bolt on neck and the pickup cavity. this space is usually covered by the pickguard.

IMG_0845_zps02a6420e.jpg

This picture shows that the crack is severe enough that the wood has moved, In the next pic you can see I can move the wood back flush and it becomes less visible.

IMG_0846_zpsee25432b.jpg

IMG_0847_zps491feffa.jpg

Opposite corner

IMG_0848_zpse5f4e50e.jpg

Other side. You can see that the cracks have not only come down vertically, but are starting to cut accross.

So my first instinct is to glue this back in place. However, I cannot move the cracked wood enough to get any glue in there. Should I be (carefully) breaking the whole piece and gluing?

Any advice is appreciated!

Since this will be invisible under the pickguard you could wick some water-thin superglue into the cracks (taping off the surrounding areas of course) however it seems that the neck is bearing against the rear face of the heel. In this instance it might only cause the issue to re-occur.

Bleed in water thin CA. clamp it up & leav it. should be fine.

How did it happen ? did the guitar get dropped on its ass end or take a bang on the headstock ?

No incidents that stand out in my mind. It is a pretty old guitar so it's been around. I'm only thinking about repair because although the neck isn't supported there, it rests up against it and I've been having some tuning issues (that I'm sorting out) and was wondering if maybe that little movement in the body would give some play in the neck.

Also, when you say 'water thin' CA is that just regular CA (superglue) or is water added for more.... thin-ness ?

It refers to the viscosity. Normal CA is like milk whereas water-thin is like water. Adding water just accelerates the curing and isn't miscible with it, so a no-go there! Normal hardware store CA will do the job but will only penetrate a couple of mm into a closed crack. Water thin soaks right through a hairline crack and into the surface of the wood also.