Oblaty's Guitar Projects

oblaty

So I decided to post one of guitars I am currently building. Basically it´s a superstrat with some custom features. It will be also a proof of concept that was researched in my thesis.

specs:

Body

1 piece straight grained sapelli (swisscheesed because it is a bit heavier than I´d like)

bookmatched unique carpathian maple

Neck

wenge, angled headstock italian lock

ebony fb bound with flamed maple

16" radius, 24 frets, 25,5" scale

Concept - body and neck tuned to exact frequency (stay tuned (or just check out this thread from time to time because it might take a while :D )

swisscheesing.. just small holes, those won´t act as chambers = lots of sound in lower weight package

1451356_732311573464279_2106414400_n.jpg

Body was then bandsawed close to line and prepared for top glueing. No pics of that, sorry, but clamp police might arrest me.. deffinitelly need much more clamps for this purpose :huh:

At this stage, it gets P40 robosanding with template, then freehand robosanding at P120. Neck pickup and neck pocket gets routed using template from previous 7 string build.

397500_732310770131026_272315308_n.jpg

Edited by oblaty

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

onto the back... edges routed with 45° bit, control cavity template made and cavity routed using it

1441412_732310800131023_2065628352_n.jpg

and started on the neck.. first the fret slots on ebony gets cut, fb gets trimmed and then radiused using 16" radius beam /custom made/

let the fun begin :) my first binding job on fb, so I had to pick the harder one.. so! sharp chisel and steady hand... after 30min or so this was the result... not bad huh?

1450154_741807382514698_1344212593_n.jpg

after the all hardware arrived I could route the bridge pickup cavity... and this is how it looks by now

1470312_742189569143146_643252541_n.jpg

Nice! I like the 45 degree "contour" on the back, its a bit different......

Paul

There's a certain well known minimulustic builder whom this is part if his signature style and his builds are copied by many these days. As are his top styles and headstocks the most copied "fad" at this point in time

I built a Beast years ago with 45 degree bevels all the way around it both front and back long before I ever even heard of that "minimalistic builder" you mention.

Why did I do it?Because a 45 degree pattern bit comes with every router bit starting kit and it is a logical step to use it to bevel a guitar body for comfort and looks.

I built a Beast years ago with 45 degree bevels all the way around it both front and back long before I ever even heard of that "minimalistic builder" you mention.

Why did I do it?Because a 45 degree pattern bit comes with every router bit starting kit and it is a logical step to use it to bevel a guitar body for comfort and looks.

45 degree has long been the standard bevel on "pointy" guitars, but never on superstrats.

Nice! I like the 45 degree "contour" on the back, its a bit different......

Paul

There's a certain well known minimulustic builder whom this is part if his signature style and his builds are copied by many these days. As are his top styles and headstocks the most copied "fad" at this point in time

But since that builder no longer makes guitars, people have gone pretty wild copying it, more than usual.

If we are talking about the same people(Black Machine),they have no guitars in their gallery of current builds and the website says "not taking orders",so whether that means they are just backed up or whatever,it does apparently mean you can't buy a new one right now...and that will of course lead to clones being made.

I still don't know how original those guitars are...they do definitely have a certain look to them,but they are just thin superstrats...and people have been making the strat thinner for comfort since people started building them.Thinner and more comfortable is always the logical step,and IMO just because you combine a bunch of already well used elements into one guitar that doesn't create intellectual property.at this point there are so many guitars being built that if you wish to be truly "original" you have to go into really funky looking territory.Much better IMO to just build them to higher standards if possible.

Of course,there is at least one builder who even goes so far as to embed an engraved plate in the same location as them,and that is pretty blatant...

I do like the guitars Black Machine makes.They seem very well crafted,and they don't try to convince you they are awesome with self written 3rd person biographies and a fake Q&A page like a certain guy in a certain cold climate does.

Anyway,sorry about the hijack.

Of course,there is at least one builder who even goes so far as to embed an engraved plate in the same location as them,and that is pretty blatant...

I do like the guitars Black Machine makes.They seem very well crafted,and they don't try to convince you they are awesome with self written 3rd person biographies and a fake Q&A page like a certain guy in a certain cold climate does.

:peace

What's with the stabs Wes? We're talking guitars here and you have a personal stab at both me and Perry? Or just one or the other? If you've got issues throw em on the table cause I'm buggered if I know where that came from

As far as Black Machine, to the best of my knowledge they are still pumping out plenty of guitars. Maybe they just don't update their website as they're too busy building.

I'm also under the impression they no longer take orders, they build and sell stock, so that may have been the cause of some peoples confusion. It's not that they stopped building. They changed the way the operate.

They do update their Facebook page and not long ago put up another batch of guitars for sale. They're probably long sold by now

No stabs...I was talking about someone else entirely(why I said cold climate).I have no problem with you or Perry.

What is it you think are stabs?I like your work just fine...I draw a lot of inspiration from the way you work.Matter of fact you are one of my favorite builders right now because your thread is so full of awesome pics of great guitars....I was talking about Black Machine combining elements and the fact that making similar guitars to them is not necessarily stealing intellectual property except in the case of the original elements like the recessed engrave plate at the back of the body of Black Machine instruments.

Edited by westhemann

Ok - cool. No idea what builder you're on about then. I live in one of Australia's coldest areas, so I just assumed it was me you were having a stab at as I was in the conversation and I assumed perry as he's doing a copy run at the moment called hype machines.

As far as drawing inspiration from my work, I'd aim a bit higher, my guitars are hack jobs compared to some of the real artisans out there. Sure they're (my builds) are getting a sh1tload better every year, but I'm under no illusion they're the best out there.

I'm currently getting an acoustic guitar made by a guy I know is WAY better craftsman than I will ever be, when you see work by a true master it brings things into perspective very quickly.

I'm on this forum to learn about building, improve, evolve and I post my own work in attempt to give back for anything I may have learned. Happy to receive constructive criticism that can make me a better builder. I love guitar and there's no better forum on the net (that I know of)

I draw inspiration from yours in particular because your wood selection is similar to my own taste,you do the work with your own hands,and they are better quality than mine yet give me attainable goals for myself that won't cost me a fortune to reach.You may consider yours hack jobs,but mine are hacky-er to my eye

Sure,there are some truly great artisans out there,but I can't afford the equipment or materials they can afford

BTW I sent you a PM with the name of whom I was actually referring to.

Edited by westhemann

What's with the stabs Wes? We're talking guitars here and you have a personal stab at both me and Perry? Or just one or the other? If you've got issues throw em on the table cause I'm buggered if I know where that came from

As far as Black Machine, to the best of my knowledge they are still pumping out plenty of guitars. Maybe they just don't update their website as they're too busy building.

I'm also under the impression they no longer take orders, they build and sell stock, so that may have been the cause of some peoples confusion. It's not that they stopped building. They changed the way the operate.

They do update their Facebook page and not long ago put up another batch of guitars for sale. They're probably long sold by now

I was also talking about blackmachine.

From what i have heard, and according to their facebook page, they no longer make guitars. Which is why you see them going for 10k on ebay now...

I just typed a massive long post on my iphone and then the thing crashed - so here's a super condensed version as I cannot remember half of what I said!

The name you PM'd me, I've never been on his site before. Bored the crap out of me. Tried reading what you wanted me to read, got bored. Way too much writing to keep my hung over mind awake. I've seen his posts on another forum and just shrugged the guitars off as they look ok but just another one of "those" styles.

I don't often follow other builders threads on other forums, the ones on this forum are more interesting than brand name builders trying to plug themselves on bigger forums. I'd rather follow the little guys build thread who is doing it for them self at home. Much more interesting to me. There is much better builders on this forum than I am, so they are interesting as well. Usually don't have the egos of the "brand names" either.

My last comment brings me to a reply to your "cutting hands off" comment.

A couple years ago I had a conversation with a mentor of mine about how I'd be looking at other peoples work and get very depressed about building, I'd want to give up. My depressed brain would tell my I'm useless and I'll never be as good as these others. I'd mope around and it'd pull me down. I'd question everything. Depression can be very poisoning. There was actually one point years ago that I sold off a heap of my tools and quit building as I was hopeless and it just depressed me even more, that and I was broke (global financial crisis) which also kicked the depression in the guts making things worse.

Anyway, back to the mentor, after I'd started building again I met this guy - he told me that he stopped looking at other peoples guitars decades ago for the same reason, told me to do my own thing, only worry about my own guitars and forget the others. This is advice from a guy who has had guitars play on some of the biggest stages across the planet and has international clients fly to Australia just to pick up guitars in person. He's been there, done that. Has nothing to prove and has great advice.

When I started to do this, not looking at other peoples builds - rather than compare, I improved. Rather than get depressed, I evolved.

All these USA and Euro guitar companies pumping out guitars that are very much the "fad" at the moment. Fads come and go. I'd like to stick around for the long haul and stick with my own style, which to me is very 80's metal influenced but with a bit of a more modern approach.

As far as design and creativity. Electric guitars have been around for a bit over half a century now, lots of companies have come and gone and millions of designs along with them. It's hard to be creative and come up with something new, then when you think you have someone will tap you on the shoulder and say "such n such" did that twenty years ago. Back to the drawing board.

Off topic even more, I had a discussion last week with this same mentor about marketing our product. He said that it's a different world to that when he created his name. All the music festivals he had to tour around to with stands and product displays etc. We also talked about people wanting free gear and working with endorsee's. He said he'd done that in the eary days and regretted it every time. Advised me never to do it. Back to marketing. The internet has changed the business. We can now see an item across the other side of the world at the click of a button have it on order. Yngwie talks about a similar topic in his book on marketing for musicians changing since he was in the MTV era and now its youtube era.

Anyway, lets get this thread back to the person it belongs to.

It´s funny how I visit this forum regularly and look up to your work, guys, and you just refer your work as "hack jobs" :D

This forum brought me to start building guitars and you guys are my inspiration...

Hardly I can come up with an original design, I just alter the existing ones :)

yeah specially Allan's work. I "know" him since at least, 10 years ago, from the Moser Custom Shop forum. I'd build guitars everyday, for myself, Allan didn't even started if i recall correctly.

I look at the quality of his work and am amazed, not only me, but others like Sebastard from the MCS forum who have seen him evolve.

I take my hat off every time i see his creations, and feel very proud of him. I have asked him for advice, even if i started building guitars before him, but mine has never been up to his level of craftmanship.

Now i think it's time to stop looking at your beautiful guitars! hehehe

Actually Eddie, I had started long before then, first attempt was in 1991, I built a Flying V and used a donar neck, however it was Neal who changed my whole approach and gave me direction, as before then I was just poking around in the dark and falling over everything. The builds were few and far between, it's only in recent years that I really pulled my thumb out. I no longer build using Neals method to a T, but I would be a complete liar if I said I wasn't influenced by it, I've just evolved if for my own usage.

It´s funny how I visit this forum regularly and look up to your work, guys, and you just refer your work as "hack jobs" :D

When I met one of the guys I look up to, he asked to see my work, I suggested to him I was just a bloke tinkering in my shed and that there's nothing much to see. He replied "that's all I am too!" - I said to him, that in the acoustic world he's a worldwide household name, he goes "aaaaagggghhhh" as in grunted at me, then said "when you've been at it as long as me you will be too".

You'll find most "craftsman" are pretty critical of their own work and can see all the flaws, whereas people looking at it just see an awesome guitar. Eventually those flaws get less and less and then you can start building a guitar you're happy with.