Guitar Of The Month - January 2014

ProjectGuitar.com's Guitar Of The Month contest is a showcase for all members to exhibit their creations and to vote on whose if this month's favourite.

This contest is open entry for any and all members. The winner(s) receive featured article placement on the front page of the site, a photo as the default site wallpaper and privileged member perks across the site (plus a shiny badge). The main Project Guitar site sees thousands of unique visitors from around the Internet so show off your work for the world to see!

Submissions are open throughout the month until the last seven days when public voting open. Polls automatically close at the tick of midnight on the 1st of each month.

Contest Guidelines

• Post a maximum of four of your best photos for each guitar entered.
  • Ensure that your guitar has a name otherwise one will be given to it :)
  • List additional descriptive information specific to the build (for example woods, scale length, electronics, whether it is your first build, etc.)
  • Posting a link to your guitar-building website, Photobucket, Facebook, etc. is fine, even if it is your business. In the spirit of fairness we encourage instruments made by individuals rather than manufacturers!
  • Tell us more about the instrument! Why you chose various build aspects, any background on what makes it special, etc.

Unsure what to write? Have a look around the entry archives for suggestions.

If you are unable to link/post photographs or have any other questions about the GOTM contest, either PM me or ask forum members; we're a helpful bunch! In general it is recommended to upload your photos into Project Guitar's Gallery and inserting them using the "My Media" button in the post editor.

This thread is exclusively for entry posts only - any post that is not an entry will be deleted. Traditionally the month's entries are discussed once polls open or within each instrument's build thread if one has been made.

• 2 weeks later...

The 1st & 2nd Amendment (Edit since the customer named the guitar)

I don't shy away from too many requests, but I was a little hesitant to take on this project. Especially since it meant building 5 of these gun-guitars. We had a few interesting meetings, at bars, where I showed full size templates and the buyer gave me a full scale model. Only in Texas.

• body: Alder
  • neck: Maple
  • fretboard: ebony
  • scale: 25"
  • frets: 21
  • fretboard radius: 12"-16"
  • pickups: Lace Deathbucker (of course)
  • tuners: Kluson
  • bridge: Fixed bridge
  • finish: Tru-oil, Black Lacquer
  • Trigger/Guard/Clip: Air Soft parts

Customer Quote (I hope this isn't too offensive)

I feel like I am living Ted Nugent's wet dream. And I love it.

Interesting notes:

• The handguard and barrel jacket (over the top of the neck) removable for better playing.
  • The truss rod cover is the barrel and held on with magnets for easy removal
  • The clip is removable
  • The trigger moves

The customer bought a gun case to present the guitar.
IMG_3982.jpg

Here's a close up of the plaque.

IMG_3984.jpg

Here's a shot of the others I still have to complete.

IMG_3528.jpg

I was given a full scale model gun to get ideas from.
IMG_3130.jpg

Hey, we need more contestants, right? Here's the:

Luciferi Howl-o-body (I wrote the name on the sticker inside the body and then decided not to use the truss rod cover with a wolf on it that I made previously. Not such a clever name anymore then...)

Link to the build thread: http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/topic/46880-build-6-hollow-singlecut/

Anyways, here's some specs:

Body: Mahogany (hollow)
Top: Curly maple (carved inside and outside)
Neck: Mahogany with birch accent lines
Fretboard: Ebony

Scale length: 25"
Nut: Unbleached bone
Headstock veneer,cavity covers, pickguard: Ebony
Pickup covers: Grain matched curly maple (wood from cutting out the pickup holes)
Binding: Grained ivoroid on everything
Pickups: Seymour Duncan P-rails
Volume/tone knobs, switchtip, strap buttons: Grained ivoroid
Tuners: Gotoh 510 with ebony buttons
Bridge: GraphTech Resomax wraparound
Electronics: Two volume, one tone 3-way switch, two 3-way mini switches to select humbucker/p-90/rail for each pickup
Finish: Nitrocellulose lacquer on cherry red dye on the top, everything else Danish oil

And some pics:

front_zpsf1caf710.jpg

back_zpsa584efbf.jpg

collage1_zpsc46c2a5a.jpgcollage2_zpsa937c7e4.jpg

Hopefully no one has an issue with this, but it's really only a NECK of the Month build. I've been working on projects for other people lately so I haven't had much time to finish full instruments. But this neck for an Ibanez S turned out pretty cool so I thought I might enter it. I don't expect to win with what I already see above my post... but if anyone has an issue with just a neck entry I can take 'er down.

Without further adieu, here's the "You want me to build what?!" neck.

Specs:

3-piece maple with wenge veneer stripes

African Blackwood board with home-made white (green glowing) glow in the dark side dots

25.5" scale with 16" radius

Custom headstock co-designed with friend

Ebony headplate (with conical shaped recess) and backplate with 'banjo style' volute

3B755A88-CFFF-42CA-861C-D5EDBC12E255_zps

1A7063C1-8604-4CF0-A690-F949226ED9CF_zps

3C27E777-6FB5-4DAB-AC09-EA60411B87FF_zps

Name: I'm calling it the "You want me to build what?!" neck because my friend wanted it so thin, and I only use double-action truss rods, that I was genuinely afraid that the truss rod would pop through the back of the neck. There's only about 1/16" behind the rod. To make it work I had to devise a plan to make the neck both stiff at that thickness and not have the rod break through. The solution I came up with was a carbon fiber weave material pressed into a 1/2" radius U-channel around the truss rod like this:

4531BFA1-D3AA-4D51-A36F-4BE4FE2C689E-206

Seems to be doing the job!

Chris

Mississippi BJ

This is just posted up to thank the guy who I knicked the number plate idea from, I saw it here ages ago but couldn't find anything searching, they were so cool made from old found wood & rusty bits, anyway.

Quick cheap parts build as I had some tele hardware lying around.

Ash body £20, add belly and arm cuts.

Neck £30

Wilkinson bridge

Duncan little59 bridge, generic hotrail type neck

NOS nobease knobs

Fluro orange

20131129_133210_zps3a10e3c7.jpg

20131129_133201_zps2602360a.jpg

20131129_133135_zpscafd6cad.jpg

20131129_133055_zpsb1516564.jpg

Peters JR. Style build.

This is the first guitar out of my shop to feature the wooden bigsby idea. I have a few other in the works and a couple that were actually started before this one, but this is just the first to get completed. Its a pretty basic build that just uses top of the line materials and hardware.

Spec list:
Top: 5a quilted maple
Back: mahogany
Neck: 5a curly rock maple
Headstock veneers: quilted maple
Fretboard: east indian rosewood
Binding: east indian rosewood
Pickups rings: east indian rosewood
Knobs: east indian rosewood
Tremolo base: east indian rosewood
Purfling: pearloid
Inlays: Mother of pearl