Building my guitar/wood shop or how i turned a basement full of crap i

XBIGJIMX

Hey everyone, well i have been wanting to do this for ages...build "the shop" nd if i post about it i will not procrastinate working on it hahahah

I have done everything in the garage for th elongest time but it has gotten to the point where i want to actually park in there. Plus after my Thyroid was removed (it acts as the bodies thermostat) it is always to hot or too cold in there to work. So I took over a section of the basement. Thr problem was all the crap in my basement, it amazing the amount of crap in boxes one can collect. So how do we kill 2 bird with one stone...sell all the crap in boxes and buy the tools and supplies your need!!! So armed with craigslist and ebay my goal is to fill the and finsh the shop with out coming out of pocket. Here we go...

Now I have alot of tools but I am missing the "Big" tools

Band Saw

Planer

Jointer

Table Saw

Router Table

Air purifier

and dust control

Now one of the things it will have ontop of tools and work space is a "spraybooth" Something that is sealed and vents out side so i can control dust and not choke to death on paint fumes.

here is the begining...dark open and raw..and a mess and this was after i "cleaned"

17753BFA-57B4-48EC-85AE-9A0522433666-174

Now while this is going on I have been ebaying my youth and cleaning out boxes and making orders to fill the shop. I'll let you know what i get as i set the room up.

I framed out the walls that were just concrete and framed out the paintbooth and the room for the dust control and aircompressor. which is also where the furnace is.

752BB41B-3F0E-4790-90E5-0FE34A489B61-174

As you can see the first "free" purchase is in the the Rikon Air purifier (oh how i love black friday sales)

Now one of the big issues was a) the lack of room in the box for electrical expansion B) the need for 220. So a sub pannel had to be added. So that was the next step adding in a 100 amp sub panel.

5564D6CA-9D07-4321-98C4-CA36B2A14CEE-174

You sure you're using the right gauge cable on 20A MCBs? That wire looks awfully skinny for power circuits.

I have to go down and double check I am using 12-3 .

The 100 amp main lead line was single 6 it may have been 8 all i know is it was almost impossible to cut with wire cutters

I am guessing the wire in the pic is correct cause that was what already ran when i moved in i just moved it from the other box.

12-3 should be plenty.It's what I used for all of my 20 amp outlets in my container home and it's been great for 2 years now.If I recall it's right at the edge of the recommended output for that size,but it is in the chart on the back of the package.I moved to 10 gauge iirc for the 240V 30 amp water heater,but everything else is 12.

Hard to remember.I may have been going for overkill.I know my main cables are oversized a bit.

Edited by westhemann

Spent the day pulling wire... i swear if i have to pull one more foot of romex! Got about half the shop wired and all the wire ran.

So far here is what we got

10 lights run on the celeing

8 - 220 outlets 30 amp with 10/2

15 - 110 outlets 20 amp 12/2

2- 110 outlets 20 amp in the celeing 12/2

The Compressor, Dust control are on there own breaker. The rest are spread out over the box.

Tomorrow the second part of the Grizzly order comes in.

You're lucky to have a nice big area to work in. :)

Whatever you do, don't skimp on the wire. If you're like me, you will be continuously buying bigger tools and wishing you had more power.

ken

I wish I had a basement...I was looking at houses made of bottles and I was thinking that would be a cool workshop

http://www.offgridworld.com/bulletproof-fireproof-house-made-from-used-plastic-bottles/

Of course they don't talk about how to attach the roof so it won't blow off....but I think some cedar posts would do it

Wiring is cake compared to drywalling.

Here in Australia its illegal to do anything at all related to your house wiring, have to pay a professional just to change a plate on a power point, however you can re plaster your whole house yourself!

Yes, plastering (drywall for our American cousins) is a real pita, especially ceilings

About the ops post: nice start. Looks like a great space. Best of luck

That's a nice basement. It sounds like you've got plenty of receptacles. Have you bought any tools yet?

oh yeah, I actually just went and bought tools.

e9123e62-391a-4935-b831-a2c20ab91bc5_zps

In the past 2 weeks i got:

17" grizzly bandsaw

10" grizzly drum sander

grizzly downdraft table

Jet 12 planer

grizzly 6" jointer with spiral byrd cutter

Cast iron top craftsman table saw

Buffing station

12" sliding compound miter saw.

new maple workbench

stew mac fret cowl press set

fretting slot blade

Shop smith pin router

Stewmac perscision router base

Set of fret files

Rikon Air purifier

I have been getting packages like its christmas. The best part this has cost me $0 out of pocket all this was payed for by stuff I had in my basement. I also used this to do all the work readying the shop.

Here is a rough plan of the room

SHOP_zpse6aff3a8.jpg

Here in Australia its illegal to do anything at all related to your house wiring, have to pay a professional just to change a plate on a power point, however you can re plaster your whole house yourself!

Depends on where you are,here.There is no Federal law about it,so it's up to local codes.If you are in the woods you have no local codes to comply with(by "in the woods" I mean no mans land),and if you are in a small town nobody really cares enough to enforce what codes there are.

I had mine inspected by a licensed electrician I did the work and he signed off on it.

I have been getting packages like its christmas. The best part this has cost me $0 out of pocket all this was payed for by stuff I had in my basement. I also used this to do all the work readying the shop.

THAT IS FLIPPIN' AWESOME! I'm gonna come and play in your basement.

The layout mostly looks good; I'd move the dog a couple of feet south and put the cat under the table.

SR

THAT IS FLIPPIN' AWESOME! I'm gonna come and play in your basement.

The layout mostly looks good; I'd move the dog a couple of feet south and put the cat under the table.

SR

Come on by I can pick your brain!

Plus everyone know the dog will be under foot and the cat will want to lay on anything your trying to read or do ;)

Edited by westhemann