Searls Guitars 2014

demonx

That was a great video about timbers, grain, work-ability, etc. Thank you!

I say that should be pinned in the tutorial section. I have made several bad choices on past projects, and would have benefited from your advice.

Finishing options would be a nice accompaniment to a tutorial. E.g., 'oil' means very different things to internationals builders.

And I like your selections for the current builds.

• Like 1

Do you like the color match with the Black Limba neck blank and the Cocobolo Sapwood body?

1493587_572318616183310_1398360595_o.jpg

It's a little busy, but I wouldn't be afraid of it. I do think it would benefit from ebony stringers and an ebony board or something that is relatively even colored to break up or contrast with the patterns you've got going with the coco and limba. That's me though. I'm sure whatever you choose will end up looking stellar.....everything else you've done has.

SR

You remember those marble cakes we used to always want when we were kids with all the colors swirled around?

That's the vibe I'm going for on this build. Stringers would break that up (fix the contrast as you suggested) which is the opposite of what I normally do.

I want the colors to wash into each other. It's an overkill guitar but not in a gordy way like the Clancy star I built, I'm still trying to keep this one classy.

The heatwave here has started to die down, so I'm back in the workshop. Started this LP 7 string.

999609_576537869094718_1368350943_n.jpg

Here are the neck blanks for the current six builds, three in this pic have scarf joints in clamps

1524990_576569265758245_288977278_n.jpg

Whats your scarf joint procedure? Are the headstocks already cut out before you glue them?

If you scroll up a couple pics you'll answer your own question! I cut and shape most of it before scarfing.

As for the procedure, I simply cut, clean up the surfaces and clamp. You can find it all on my YouTube channel beginning to end, "Searls guitars part 1" - a lot of my methods have changed since that video but here's still lots of stuff on there that's the same

That was a great video about timbers, grain, work-ability, etc. Thank you!

I say that should be pinned in the tutorial section. I have made several bad choices on past projects, and would have benefited from your advice.

Finishing options would be a nice accompaniment to a tutorial. E.g., 'oil' means very different things to internationals builders.

And I like your selections for the current builds.

Thanks for the kind words, I do not think this half arsed on the spur of the moment video should be pinned, it's too hack job. People should just follow my posts instead!

I might do some finishing videos in the future and touch in a few points. I'll try make an effort to do a few more spontaneous videos through these builds

Any topics people want me to address specifically? Don't be afraid to ask, even if it seems trivial

Thought I'd share this pic.

It's Spalted Sassafras. What I have done is poured epoxy over it and rubbed it in, the spalt soaks it up, then I repeat and repeat until there is a epoxy film over the timber. This has to be done before I can do any routing to the spalt otherwise I risk it falling apart.

In this pic you can see the clean edge (towards the bottom) where after the spalt has been stabilized I was then able to safely run it over the jointer. In this case there wasn't a whole lot of spalt in that particular area which makes it even safer.

1535392_577510128997492_917556199_n.jpg

I had to spray a couple guitars today, after spraying them I had a bit of left over clear in the gun, so I grabbed some offcuts from current builds to see the color difference in timber before and after clear.

This is Dayne's Rimu top, you can see the inner part has no clear and the top has an explosion of color now, add to that the contrast in darkness between the clear and uncleared. This top will look amazing once it's cleared!

1016327_582083745206797_1859389736_n.jpg

• Like 1

This top will look amazing once it's cleared!

Indeed!

Seeing what happens to nice wood when the clear is first applied is like opening presents at Christmas. It always looks so good, but sometimes there is a real surprise. It is always fascinating to me to see how much some woods change while others' colors remain pretty much the same, just richer and deeper.

It's one of the best things about playing with wood. :rolleyes:

SR