Project: S9 Progress Thread 2014 - RAD

Not only are these guitars fantastic, but the centre point jig for your drill press is genius. Few things are more upsetting than ferrules that are out of alignment.

Is there a scientific reason behind the slightly slanted neck tenon?

Because it is friggin cool.

Actually I use the same neck tenon for single coil slanted and for humbuckers so it makes it easier to just use the one.

P3220701.jpg

Awesome, as usual. Thought the truss rod wax bath was an interesting idea. Is that to prevent any possibility of glue/epoxy getting into the threads? What type of wax do you use?

Sully

It prevents rust, penetrates the threads and lubricates for the life of the rod, lastly it stops glue from sticking to them as well.

I use old pickup potting wax (straight paraffin) in a small crock pot. It is a bit tricky because the wax won't flow until the steel is hot so you have to start by soaking the bolt end for about 15 minutes then flip them and soak the other end. Then one by one you have to take a heat gun and heat the middle of the rods until the wax flows down the rod. If the rod doesn't get hot enough the wax doesn't flow and stick and is a messy waste of time.

Tricky yes. But over the years I have had one or two go bad from seizing up or glue seeping past my tape and I never want to run into that again if I can help it.

• Like 1

Awesome, as usual. Thought the truss rod wax bath was an interesting idea. Is that to prevent any possibility of glue/epoxy getting into the threads? What type of wax do you use?

Sully

It prevents rust, penetrates the threads and lubricates for the life of the rod, lastly it stops glue from sticking to them as well.

I use old pickup potting wax (straight paraffin) in a small crock pot. It is a bit tricky because the wax won't flow until the steel is hot so you have to start by soaking the bolt end for about 15 minutes then flip them and soak the other end. Then one by one you have to take a heat gun and heat the middle of the rods until the wax flows down the rod. If the rod doesn't get hot enough the wax doesn't flow and stick and is a messy waste of time.

Tricky yes. But over the years I have had one or two go bad from seizing up or glue seeping past my tape and I never want to run into that again if I can help it.

Very cool, thanks man!

Better than "why do you wax your legs?"...

Yes. Yes it is.... I liked the question just pointing out that you guys are all dirty lurkers.

I post three pages of updates and all I get is "Why do you wax your trussrods?"

Not true! I pointed out that your starfish was giving me the old one eyed stare.

It looks remarkably like the one my wife's cat used to give me. :wacko:

SR

Shame on you for owning a soul stealing furry monster. You deserve to stare at its dirty nasty little starfish first thing in the morning as it is walking on your chest after staring at you for hours as you sleep.

• Like 1