Just introducing myself. I've been playing guitar since about 1990. (Wow...it's been awhile. Shame I didn't practice more. I'd be a lot better.) I always wanted to build a guitar but never got around to it. I'm finally starting my first project. I'm starting with a factory ibanez s8 body and plan on refinishing it. I want to replace the fretboard with a maple one. It's going to take awhile to complete. I'm a stay at home dad of 4 kids so time is not something I have a lot of. But eventually I will get it done.

Welcome to the forum.

I just replaced the fingerboard on a customers guitar two weeks ago - if I knew there was a newbie wanting to do it I would have snapped some progress pics.

In a nut shell I used a heatgun to heat up the existing board (technically the glue underneath) and pried it off with a paint scraper. I thin used a scraped (wood carving scraper, not paint scraper) to clean up the surface and simply made a new ziricote fingerboard to replace the rosewood one. I replaced the truss rod while I was there as it was the reason for the repair in the first place.