KEA 2014 Builds

So here is a mockup. Looks cool, but i always make the stupidest decisions regarding finishes. I should have done this one the way i normally do, with a open grain satin poly. But nope, i had to be an idiot and try to do an oil finish because people have been suggesting it.

So now i have a very sticky, easily fingerprinted, very easily scratched finished guitar.

mockup017_zps0024098e.jpg
mockup016_zps11452793.jpg
mockup014_zps658107e2.jpg
mockup012_zps8cacdae6.jpg

mockup040_zps397e41d0.jpg
mockup039_zps0068c4e8.jpg
mockup034_zpsdad1808c.jpg
mockup033_zps9b527c56.jpg
mockup031_zps6b238f45.jpg
mockup030_zps89e568e6.jpg
mockup029_zpsd8b000ff.jpg

• Like 2

So here is a mockup. Looks cool, but i always make the stupidest decisions regarding finishes. I should have done this one the way i normally do, with a open grain satin poly. But nope, i had to be an idiot and try to do an oil finish because people have been suggesting it.

So now i have a very sticky, easily fingerprinted, very easily scratched finished guitar.

I would add beautiful to that.

That is definitely one of my favorites of your builds, it looks fantastic! I'm not sure how long you've let your oil finish cure, but if it's still sticky after another week you can put a coat of good quality cabinet wax on it. No added protection but it looks nice and feels good. Or do like RAD does and shoot a couple light coats of lacquer or poly over the oil.

SR

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Man, i just really dont know what to do anymore.

I feel like i have almost mastered all of the woodwork and general guitar construction. All of that comes out pretty much perfect. Every line, joint and rout is always near perfect. But dang, every. single.Time. I ruin the finish or do somethign to where the finish just completely takes away from the actual build. This is borderline not worth it anymore. I ruined the black explorer again, for the 3rd time. I should follow my own rule of never trying anthing new. It has NEVER worked, and has done nothing but cost me money and a good build.

I am going downhill fast business wise. I dont think i can last another 6 months at the rate i am going.

Looks like my career will be cut shorter that i had intended.

Please, stop crying like a girl... try to improve your skills instead.

If you've mastered wood working, start learning finishing. Guitar building is both.

It takes time and patiente, like woodworking, but I'm pretty sure you can do it... are you? :D

I am absolutely not sure i can do it, because i have been doing finishing on guitars before i ever even started building. That puts it at a little over 9 years of the same finishing experience.

Alrighty, no need to cry little a little girl anymore. See ya guys around.

Luis, I am still of the opinion that you should consider outsourcing. The quality of your luthiers coupled with a pro finish would be perfect. Then you should hike your prices to 3x-4x what they currently are. You totally undersell your work. I talked to a couple of different pro touring guitarists in name bands and they loved your Blackhawk. Their sponsorship contacts tied them out though, but the love is there for your stuff.

• Like 1

I am really excited to use this stuff. I had made some strats out of a very similar piece a while back, but the figure was a little more subtle.

I get a really great price on this stuff since they dont grade their mahogany. It was 5:37 a bd ft. They have an entire pallet of identical stuff. Hopefully they still have some next time i get wood.