KEA 2014 Builds

Ive been getting a lot of work done that i havnt documented. I get in a groove and dont really feel like stopping to take pictures.

Building has gone really well lately. Here are some pics of the Ambonya SS neck.

burlneck007_zpsd69eb23b.jpg
burlneck006_zps91c652fe.jpg
burlneck003_zpsb2f36d78.jpg
burlneck001_zpse2ca43a1.jpg

It will have a Macassar ebony fretboard. I'll get that glued up on Thursday.

Here is sneak peak of the neck that is going on the bubinga Explorer
ebony005_zpsd9e69f49.jpg

And an artsy shot of the Zebra i took . This guitar is just insane. It feels so good and plays so well.I wish i could charge double for it. Took it to a music store today with my friend and some of the guys were blown away.

Leavesguitar015_zps411b9707.jpg

• Like 4

That's an awesome shot! And you could charge double for it. The last time I looked Notyou was getting in the $4500 range for his on DAG.

Was that shot taken in your yard?

SR

Thank you sir. Yes, it is my front yard. We have a fenceline of big cottonwoods that really drop a massive amount of leaves.

I still dont have the reputation to sell for that much. I only seem to reach people who dont have money. I still cant sell it at 1500. Or people message me and ask how much and then i say 1500, and then they freak out because they thought it would be like 700.

Likewise Luis.

I think you have probably developed a repution for building high quality guitars at a bargain price. You should probably raise your prices gradually--but steadily. Or maybe hold back till you have three ready to sell and offer them up as three different quality levels, with your fancier stuff being the higher end and accordingly higher priced and see who bites at the nicest stuff.

SR

So,

I have come to the conclusion that properly slotting a nut is the absolute hardest part of an entire build. After 8.5 years, i still cant do it right.

After playing this guitar for a day, I have also decide that i dont like this neck profile as much. I tried to make it a little more flat and trapezoidal, but i really prefer my thinner, round shape i used on the SS by far. I am surprised people like the trap/ flat shape necks more.

Haven't been in here for a while. I have wrist issues (too many times snapping my left hand back while speed skating), so the trap neck is comfortable for me. Each to their own.

By the way, your guitars are AMAZING!! :hyper

And this is what happens when you try something different. I thought i measured it right to get the scarf right below the volute, but i still mismeasured. Looks kinda cool though.

Flame012_zps15913b97.jpg

This is a bad ass miscalculation.I'm thinking if you could replicate the same thing with the addition of a veneer on the back of the head stock it would look incredible. Just MHO.

So some crappy things happened today.
I woke up at 4:45 to go fishing. I checked my email and saw that i had an email receipt from paypal. 149 bucks at wal mart at 10:30 at night? Crap.

I check for my wallet, nowhere to be found. What kind of idiot leaves his wallet at wal mart?
Then i check my bank account and they used my bank card for 25$ at the same wal mart. Great. Now i lost everything, all my cards, my drivers license. And the bank card that i have had since i was 17, which i had entirely memorized the number, i had to cancel. Now i will have to go to every single place i have payments on that card and change it.

On top of that, i went to the garage to work on some stuff,a nd found that a water bottle had fallen over on my table. I had literally JUST bought 75$ worth of adhesive backed sandpaper from TCP global that i had only cut off 2 pieces of. Entire thing soaked and ruined.

I know that isnt a lot of money to you guys, but i literally only made 75$ total this month income.

I only order that sandpapr once year and it lasts me forever. There is NOTHING i hate more than something going to waste or something brand new that i cant even use.

Thanks scott. This one, as a whole/ theme is probably my favorite. I wish had the cash to throw parts on this one.

I am starting a new project this week, something i have never done before.

After so much demand, i am giving in to making a 7 string. Or attempting, i should say. We'll see how it goes.

• Like 1