KEA 2014 Builds

I have gotten really bad at taking pics of my work process.

But i knocked most of this one out. The neck is being glued in right now. Same neck specs as the explorer.

I am a bit worried about balance on this one. Being really thin, and insanely light weight. Fortunately the neck is very light too. I will have to see how it comes out.

008_zps63ee1d94.jpg
007_zps1a35d5d4.jpg
006_zps07bc4644.jpg
005_zps0021f895.jpg
004_zps78e46851.jpg
003_zpse9c833a1.jpg
001_zps0a437d41.jpg

Thanks man. I never really liked making strats or basic shaped guitars. But hey, it is what the people want.

Also strung this one up for test run... Not a single buzz before fret leveling. Awesome!

It is kinda strange. Every 25.5" scale guitar i have made comes out great, but the 25.0" scales dont end up playing nearly as nice off the initial fretting? Has to be purely coincidental, but dang, that is like 5 guitars that have yet to disprove it.

Out of your league?! You should try it, it's really not as bad as it seems. The key is choosing the right adhesive that gives you good open time. For plastics I use the acetone/titebond method, for wood I use fish glue which gives me HOURS of open time but still gives me high initial tack.

Chris

Body binding seems like there is too much to go wrong. Have to have it bent to the exact shape, have to worry about gaps and equal pressure.

every time i try something new i end up having to do it 5-10 times to get it right.

Haha Scott, you give me too much credit. Anybody can do what i do if they also spent every single day for 9 years working on guitars. And as soon as i go out of my element something goes wrong. I had to scrap an entire build 2 months ago because i tried a different bridge and it went completely wrong.

Sprayed the first few coats of 2K to seal the body. Will level then spray final coats in a few days.

Also started another neck for my next build. Maple, walnut and paduak. I must say, as much as i love this combo of neck, i am kinda getting tired of it. Might be time to get a couple new neck woods.

scarf003_zps1c6b6064.jpg
scarf001_zps441d9ad4.jpg
sprayed003_zpsdc2a5378.jpg
sprayed002_zps5add35a1.jpg

• Like 2

So i have since done 3 separate applications of clear on the top. If i had correctly done the epoxy sealer, i think i could have gotten away with just one.

But i am loving using this 2k clear that actually dries on wood. And having it be crystal clear and not tinted really brings out the real figure of the grain. I will be using this from now on! Too bad it is so hazardous.

I am also going to do some kandy colored finishes on my next few builds too. If i can ever get to them.

Been letting the top cure, and been attempting to finish sand the back and sides.

I really feel like I am at my limit here. I have finish sanded over 100 guitars in my building career, and i dont think i can handle doing another. I dont understand how full time builders do this so often. Pure misery.

Talking to myself, but alrighty.

I accept defeat with gloss finishes. Not worth it anymore at this point.

Leveled the last coats i sprayed with 2000 grit paper. Looks perfect, then i buff it. And out of nowhere a ton of deep scratches show up. NO matter how careful i am with keeping the paper clean, somehow little grains of dust or dirt get under then paper and scratch it deep while i am wet sanding. Then it is impossible to get them out withought spending hours sanding back with lower grit. And no matter what, the last scratches still dont buff out.

Another guitar that will probably sit on the shelf for a long time.

I am actually pretty glad i am at the end of my career. Times like this that i remember why i hate this "job" so much. Love the idea of it, despise how difficult it is to actually make something nice.

Luis... Don't quit... period! Take a short break, or a long break, but do not quit! You have come too far, and are too talented to quit now. As a matter of fact if you quit, I will nag you til you start again. :angry: You're not even 30 years old yet. Imagine what you'll be building 10 years from now (Job 8:7).

Finishing is an art form in and of it's self. Don't let that one aspect of luthiery ruin the rest of it for you. I used to do custom painting & pinstiping back in the 90's. I can do it, but I choose to farm out all of my finishing to williamson works because he is way better at it than I am. And, it frees me up to concentrate on the art of design, and building.

Feel free to call me if you need to vent... I'm serious about that

Thanks Dough, i appreciate that.

I feel like no matter how good the woodworking or construction on a guitar is, if the finish isnt perfect, it discredits the entire build. It sucks to go to a guitar store and see 200$ guitars with perfect finishes.

Even if i finish throughout the year, i wont be able to build after that. I currently live with my parents, and that is where our woodshop is. I have to move at the end of the year, and when i do, i wont be able to build anymore.