KEA 2014 Builds

Thank you sir Rad. One of my favorite traits of this guitar is the neck joint and its contrast. It always blows my mind how crisp i can get that joint.

I just sprayed the first few coats of clear today. Looks like this will actually work! Finally able to get a correct finish on redwood burl.

• Like 1

I think i FINALLY figured out the best method of grainfilling for what i do.

I applied a thick layer of finish epoxy, let it soak in, then scraped off the excess. this time it actually stayed in all of the voids and soaked in nicely.

This is the best feeling ever to have only done one application of clear on top of that, and it is completely flat and ready for final coats. I think i will do this for all finishes from now on.

• Like 2

So, as usual, problems.

I intentionally sprayed the outside of the burst with 2 extra coats of clear, to prevent sanding through to the black.

What happens?

I sand for about 3 swipes with 800,and i am through the clear AND the burst in 3 places. Lovely.

Now even if i re spray those areas it will never match.

Finishing is a matter which always throws up obstacles. One guitar you think you have it worked out, then next guitar it'll backfire on you and it's back to step one again.

As far as spraying more because of the burst, the more you spray, the more peel you get, the more you have to sand it back increasing the odds of a thru. So I guess by trying to prevent this, you may have made it worse?

Try touching up the black with an airbrush, you'd be surprised what can be fixed with an airbrush and a bit of blending

I dont think that was the case in this situation. I Literally barley sanded a couple swipes and sanded through. I think my spraygun was spraying differently than what i wanted to.

I dont actually have an air brush. I think i will just re burst the outside again and hope the black doenst look different in certain parts. I have re done bursts where the exact same black looks different for some reason. This will be an awesome guitar if i get teh finish correct.

some day when I grow up I will make mirrors like that too... great!

I have my swirled headless already a few weeks after brushing nitro on, so much that I hope no amount of levelling with burn through. then again for some reason all my nitro finish attempts end up cracked. dunno why. maybe too much heat when buffing...

glad that you managed to repair the burst. looks flawless.

You grain filled and sealed this with epoxy yeah?

When you sanded back the epoxy, did you make sure there was an entire film of it over the guitar still, or did you sand it back flush as if it was only grain filler?

If you left a film of the epoxy it shouldn't sink back, unless it wasn't left long enough to cure before sanding?

Yup, left a slight film. I let it dry for about 24 hours.

It is 100% impossible for it not to shrink back with this weather. AT least that is what i think the problem is. Every finish, every dry time, everything. it all leads to the same result on every wood i use.

The more i look at this guitar and play it, the less impressed with it I am. All the flaws start to stand out more and more.

Here are a couple bodies i put together this week. I am trying to sell them just as blanks to make up for a ton of the material costs.

bubingaandlift020_zps97fac973.jpg
bubingaandlift015_zps107acd2f.jpg
bubingaandlift011_zpse8854dfa.jpg
bubingaandlift010_zps2322d991.jpg
bubingaandlift008_zps909859bf.jpg

cato024_zps1033fa07.jpg
cato022_zps38b7e4e7.jpg
cato020_zps8dda172f.jpg
cato018_zps29623a7e.jpg
cato016_zps0866b50a.jpg
cato015_zpsc4f3ae43.jpg

It certainly looks like your most impressive guitar to date from the photos.

About selling things to recoup money, you may have better luck selling the raw timber as opposed to bodies, for example, if I was cashed up and the price was right I'd probably have snapped up both those tops and I'm sure I'd have to fend off half the forum regulars to get them.

It certainly looks like your most impressive guitar to date from the photos.

About selling things to recoup money, you may have better luck selling the raw timber as opposed to bodies, for example, if I was cashed up and the price was right I'd probably have snapped up both those tops and I'm sure I'd have to fend off half the forum regulars to get them.

Thanks. The recent one came out nice, but it could still be better.

Maybe if they were full thickness tops. But just being veneer, i am sure most people wouldnt be nearly as interested in buying veneer.

Scott, the super strat is bubinga and the V is spalted leopardwood.

So i wasnt happy with the shrink back the original quilted sapele had, so i blocked it back and shot some kandy color on it. Looks like water from the right angle. In the shade you can hardly see the figure.

water011_zps7060661e.jpg
water007_zpsa326c071.jpg

And here are some pics of the KV body in the light. Let me know if you are interested in it.

water004_zpsc76af62b.jpg
water002_zpsd310bfbb.jpg
water001_zps0e8e0407.jpg